Which tripod to get ?

Thedirtycat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I really need a tripod as I want to do some astrophotography and I'm sure it will come in handy for some other things too. I'm fed up of trying sit the camera on my car and get pictures.
I looked into a bit and it seems people are saying you need to spend huge amounts of money or the tripod will just fall apart in a few seconds or something.
What tripods are good that aren't going to cost me too much money as I already spent a lot on the camera etc and want to save for a good lens at some point !?

What about this one ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/XCSOURCE-Pr...&qid=1442956232&sr=8-1&keywords=carbon+tripod

I would like to spend less really but I don't want something that will break all fall over. Are there cheaper options that are just as good and whats so bad about cheaper tripods ?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would like to spend less really but I don't want something that will break all fall over. Are there cheaper options that are just as good and whats so bad about cheaper tripods ?
Actually, that one looks good, but it is primarily intended for travel, being as it is lightweight and folds to a small size.

Without knowing your intent, or your tolerance for carrying heavy tripods, I might suggest something that is really sturdy, but heavy.

Actually, that one looks good, but it is primarily intended for travel, being as it is lightweight and folds to a small size.

Without knowing your intent, or your tolerance for carrying heavy tripods, I might suggest something that is really sturdy, but heavy.

Hmm, yeah I mean right now it would be good to just have something to do astrophotography with. Most the time if I'm going places I'm just taking quick pictures and dont need a tripod. Although I'm sure there will be times its at night time and would be really good to be able to a long exposure. Im sure its going to be useful anytime when its a bit dark and you have to use quite a slow shutter speed I imagine.

I was thinking lightweight would always be a bonus. It looked like on a tripod review for another tripod saying there was a hook in the middle under the tripod so you could just hang something off to weigh it down. I do actually like the idea of it just folding up small so I can keep it my bag or something rather than carrying around some big bag with it in just incase I made need it.

I do have friends that bought budget tripods but they do manage to break with somewhat alarming frequency if not handled with some care. One friend went through three tripods. I think he bought a sub-$100 model, then another for around $150 and I don't recall what the last tripod was (actually I'm not sure he got a new tripod).

When these things are set up and nobody is handling them roughly, they're fine. I think his first tripod broke due to how it was being packed and transported. The second tripod was hit by a small child playing in the yard, fell over, and a leg broke. So... got any young kids? How do you pack you tripod for transportation when you're going out to shoot?

I currently own three photo tripods... my first was a large beefy aluminum tripod at about $300 for the base and another couple hundred dollars for the head. It's strong. It's REALLY strong. You could probably throw a stick of dynamite at it and I think the tripod might win. The "problem" with that tripod... it's heavy. I don't mind using it at home or throwing it in my car (where there's no chance anything will damage it) if I'm just driving to a site where I'll be setting up for a shoot. But I would not want to carry it on any long hikes for nature shots.

So I bought tripod #2. I really LIKE tripod #2. It's a small carbon fiber travel tripod. It's really light... it's a feather. I've carried it all day and don't even feel it. I love that. What I don't love is that the legs are thin and particularly "springy". In a stiff breeze it needs to be protected from the wind or it's going to shake (which sort of ruins the whole concept of why you want a tripod.) So I do have to be careful when I use it. Also I MUST use either the self-timer or a remote release when using that tripod because simply touching the shutter button will induce a vibration on the camera.

So I bought tripod #3. Tripod #3 is big and beefy like tripod #1, but carbon fiber with a magnesium head like tripod #2 (so it's light). It also has flip-lock lever legs so it's very fast to setup and tear down. It's not nearly as light as tripod #2, but not as heavy as tripod #1... but it is as beefy as tripod #1 and it can take the punishment. The downside... it was the most expensive tripod purchase BY FAR. I think the tripod only was $800 and I think the head was another $300.

Do you need to spend $1000 on a tripod?

No. But if you DO then THAT tripod will last a LIFETIME. You'll never need to replace it.

If you buy a less expensive tripod... you'll want to be a bit careful with handling it. Sub-$150 tripods are not designed to take any punishment.

Hmm. Well I guess I'm pretty careful with things especially if they cost a decent amount of money. I dont have any kids yet and am careful when packing things. I guess if I know its easily broken I would take precautions like wrapping it up in something soft maybe.

As long as I don't end up with something really bad that wobbles all over the place and falls over and breaks my camera then thats fine I guess. I do actually really like the idea of something small that is light now I think about it more. I was only really thinking of using it for the astrophotography but I really like the idea of having it while travelling about some nice places and being able to just have it there instead of missing a really good shot.

I'm sure there have already been a few times where its maybe got a bit dark and I'm trying to use a slow shutter speed and I'm there leaning on something desperatly trying not to move at all.

The one you liked to looks good, especially for travel.

I have one that will hold my weight, but it's kind of heavy.

Most reactions

Back