Which Tripod

Ajay420

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Dear All,

Am looking for a tripod, planning to buy the below model,
"Bogen-Manfrotto 725B Digi Tripod with Integrated Ball Head with Dove Tail Plate and Carrying Bag (Black)"

Let me know how it is? and is there any other good once which is not so expensive.

Thanks
Ajay.T.C

Last edited:
I recently made a tripod purchase myself. I don't have any experience with the particular model you are asking about, but I can give you some general sound advice about buying a tripod.

Firstly, have a set of specifications in mind that you are looking for. How low/high do you want it to go? What type of head? Literally 5 minutes ago I took a shot which would have been impossible were it not for the fact that my 'pod has legs that can lock out to an almost horizontal level and a splittable center column.

Secondly, don't skimp when it comes to cash. My old tripod cost me 20GBP (sorry I am overseas and there is no damn pound sign on this keyboard, copying and pasting doesn't work either), and was utterly useless. It literally didn't get the job done so I dropped 100GBP (200USD) on a Velbon head and Slik legs, and am yet to regret it. The thing is built more like an armoured assault vehicle with a camera mount on top than a tripod. You can bash it around and it is still sturdy. It can also adjust and bend in more ways than I can imagine, and gets the job done.

Thirdly, try to actually go to a photo store with a decent range of tripods that you can test out. You can read all you want about specs online, but in reality the difference between a solid and flimsy tripod is plain to see.

Good luck, hope you find something good.

Very good advice from pm63; on the topic of specs, note that the tripod you are considering only supports up to 7.7 lbs. Since you generally want a tripod/head combination that is rated for twice what your heaviest kit weighs, this leaves you sitting at just over 3 1/2 lbs; not a lot. I would look for something a little more heavy duty; say a Manfrotto 190. Remember, this is going to be supporting all that expensive kit youv'e bought; doesn't make sense to cheap out. If new prices are a little high for you budget, check out used. There are some screaming good deals for used tripods and heads on eBay and at used stores.

Thanks alot... will go out to some stores this weekend and lets see.....

Ajay.T.C

You might check out ebay. Remember, a tripod has no sensitive optics so used is not an unreasonable approach. I bought my Bogen 3021 (a tank) and Gitzo ball mount (another tank) with the heavy-duty gitzo quick-release and extra plate for a little over $200 used.

Most reactions

Back