Which video editing software?

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright guys, I'm finally getting more into doing video work since I'm starting a youtube channel. I'm not too worried about learning the shooting side of things as it's reasonably similar to photography.

The thing that's kept me from getting very into video is the editing side of it. The learning curve is pretty steep and I struggled with it for a while. But I am learning and making progress, and as I do so I'm finding the limits of editing in iMovie.

Should I just get Adobe Premier Pro added onto my CC subscription? Is there something else I should be looking at?

What features are lacking in iMovie for you? I don't have that program so can't compare. I have Premier Pro and love the layout of the tracks. Premiere Elements back in the early versions had tracks the same stacking order with video tracks all together on top and audio tracks on the bottom. The newer versions of Premier Elements are video/audio/video/audio which I find confusing, but if you are not set in your editing ways it may be fine for you. Premiere Elements is a one time price vs. Premiere Pro subscription. Whichever editor you research, compare the options to see what fits your needs.

I love and hate iMovie and I love and hate Premier Pro.

iMovie is straight forward to use. I can easily take a few clips, do a few edits and transitions, throw in some audio, intro and credits and be done in less then an hour. It is straight forward, easy to use, easy to edit, easy to understand, ect.

I have been playing with PP, especially with the Mavic 2 Pro with the 10bit video. Coming from iMovie I do not feel like anything is intuitive. I struggle to find simple controls. It takes me hours to do the same thing I could do in iMovie in an hour. A few times after spending close to 2 hours in PP I scraped the whole project and 40 min later I had it completed in iMovie and posted online.

With that said PP is awesome, if you have the time/inclination to learn it. There are many more features and options. I will compare it as going from iPhoto to LR, with a bit higher of a learning curve. I say this as I am currently waiting 10 more min for a video to render in PP.

Also, with your profession you may be able to get the discounted monthly rate for the whole CC suite. I know I am on it.

I took a gamble on a program called "Power Director" - it's cheap, and reasonably full-featured. So far it's done the trick for me.

I started into editing with 3D specifically in mind, and after researching, the programs I could afford were Magix Movie Edit Pro and Pinnacle. Magix recently bought Sony's "Vegas" and dropped 3D from Movie Edit Pro. For now, I am refusing to change to Vegas and I am using the old copy of Magix with 3D, and I am upgrading Pinnacle. But Pinnacle lacks good support of user definable screen formats, and every version I have used up till this year has had bugs that stopped me from completing "advanced" work. So far I have not run into a bug in the latest version, but I have only used it for the simplest projects (add 1 title screen and fade into the clip and fade out -- in 2D). Seriously, Vegas had a very good reputation, but apparently had a "different" interface that some people did not like. I have no idea. . . .

If you buy a GoPro, apparently it comes with a good program -- I don't remember the name, but it was very highly regarded. Also, if you buy a Black Magic Pocket Cinema 4K it comes with DaVinci Resolve which is a very highly regarded program. I would guess that they do not refund you for your Resolve licence if you already have one, so maybe that is a consideration in the order in which you buy stuff.

Thank you all for the input. For now I upgraded my adobe photography plan to the entire suite - including premiere pro.

I tried it once before and the complexity of it scared me off, but I once felt the same about photoshop. I’m going to give it a go and see how I do.

I really like the look of Final Cut Pro if I’m being honest, but $300 up front right now is money I could put to other uses. Upgrading adobe is costing me and extra $18 per month.

I use Davinci Resolve, the free version does more than what I "need" ...LOVE IT!

Most reactions

Back