Which would you choose?

mdith4him

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I've been practicing with my camera for a few months now--really trying to focus on composition and getting interesting shots of everyday objects. I downloaded a trial version of Elements 8 for Macs and have been playing around with that, too. My trial is almost up and I found I can buy it for about $60 on ebay (instead of the $100ish retail price). I'm also interested in the 50mm f/1.8 II lens which goes for around $90 (cheapest I've found online, not counting ebay).

For a beginning photographer, which do you think would be the best for me to get first? I can't afford both at the same time and it will probably take me another couple months to save up for whichever I don't get now. Anyway, just wondering what you all think :)

Thanks!

~Meredith

the lens. PP takes a while to get the hang of, imo.

I would buy the lens first, as you can always work on the saved photos later in Elements.

I would buy the lens first, as you can always work on the saved photos later in Elements.

+1 A photo can always be edited later -but you can't always go back to take a shot if you miss it. Go for the glass and then the editing software.

Also the CD that the camera came with should have a RAW processing software program on it should you delve into the world of RAW before getting and editing program

Finally there is Gimp (google it :)) which is a freeware editingprogram. Its powerfull, but its user interface is not as refined as photoshops and thus whilst it can do a lot of stuff it can be a nightmare to navitage- but it would give you something to work with.

I would go with the glass too as the other posts mention. I use photoscape which is also freeware and gets the job done :)

Definately the lens.

IMO the lens.....there is a lot of freeware software available: GMIP, Windowslive, etc which are really good.

Thanks for all the replies :) I guess I'll go ahead and get the lens since that seems to be the unanimous consensus! I played around with GIMP and the free software the camera came with, but Elements is a lot easier to understand and use. I can go back to the free stuff for awhile, though ;)

I would also get the lens but I would look on ebay for software when you are ready to buy the software. If the software is unopened and it is cheap, I say buy it (one of the few things I buy on ebay). Apple has it's own version of photo software (think it's called Aperture). Gimp is difficult to use especially to a newbie, I've used photoscape and Picasa as well. When the time comes look for Adobe products but I've read that Corel is pretty good and I am playing around with Serif Photoplus X3 got it on Ebay for a great price (not sure if either works on Mac).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back