DjBeau

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bobrinch.dk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I'm thinking about buying a zoom lens but I simply can't decide which one to get. Mostly because I have hands on access to trying only one of them.

So I'd like to hear some oppinions from users with experience with one or more of these three lenses:

Tamron 70-200 f/2,8
Sigma 70-200 f/2,8 HSM II
Nikon 80-200 f/2,8

I've read the reviews but I'd like to hear some oppinions from some "real" users.

Bo

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a zoom lens but I simply can't decide which one to get. Mostly because I have hands on access to trying only one of them.

So I'd like to hear some oppinions from users with experience with one or more of these three lenses:

Tamron 70-200 f/2,8
Sigma 70-200 f/2,8 HSM II
Nikon 80-200 f/2,8

I've read the reviews but I'd like to hear some oppinions from some "real" users.

Bo

I'm in the same boat... I've used the Tamron and I wasn't a big fan, the AF was slow and noisy which is a deal breaker for me... as for the others I haven't used them, the Sigma looks really good though

Get the Nikkon 70-200 F2.8 VR...it's pretty expensive but you will love the VR.

Add my vote for the Nikkor as well. I just looked it up... man, the prices on the Nikkor 70-200VR F/2.8 have gone up! I picked mine up new for ~$1500, now they seem to be going for ~$1900???

Even then, this lens is nothing short of incredible. I use it on my D200, so there is the crop factor, but the sharpness, clarity, colors and contrast of this lens are unbeatable. 90% of Nikon wedding shooters own this lens for a reason. :)

On another board, a user was selling a 3-month old used one for $1400 shipped with a nice Hoya filter. It was sold within 24 hours. If you do find a deal for one of these, pick it up fast.

yep Jerry - lens prices have jumped over the last year - canon 300mm f2.8 was once around £2700 - now its on average closer to £3000

Yes, good lens prices keep going up. My friend told me when he pick up his EF 70-200 f2.8L IS few years ago, it was about $1100. And now, he can sell it back for the same price he bought after using it for few years.

There is absolutely no doubt I'd buy the Nikkor if I could afford it. But I simply can't and it sucks! In my country (Denmark) it's waaay more expensive than just 2000$ - 2000$ would be a bargain! That's why I'm looking into some alternatives.

I'm not going to bother with the VR on my 70-200 because its not going to help freeze action anymore than the non-VR lens, I guess you need to know what your going to be using it for before you decide to pay the ridiculous price increase for VR

DjBeau - not sure if you are being sincere or sarcastic (I think slightly more the latter than the former which is prompting me to write this)

Granted people have not picked a lens from the list (ergo one in your current budget) but have instead recommended a lens that costs far more - the reason they have done so is because they believe it to be worth saving for longer for that lens than to get a cheaper version now.
Your post indicates that you have no urgent need (beyond personal desire) for such a lens ergo there is time for you to save.

I can't comment specifically since I have no experience of the lower end 70-200mm lenses nor the nikon range of kit (canon user here ;)).

Yep, slightly sarcastic :) Sorry

But I guess nobody really has any experience with the mentioned lenses :-( And I do wish I could afford Nikon's 'cause it's such a great lens. Guess I'm just gonna have to wait a year or so and then get it.

I have shot with the Nikon 80-200 and I have a friend that shoots with the sigma. I currently own the 70-200 VR and it is well worth saving up for, the speed puts the sigma to shame and it is sharper and faster than the older Nikon 80-200.
If you can swing it I would go with the newer one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back