White balance

I shoot in RAW -- white balance isn't applied to the image in real-time but I can apply it later.

When I'm shooting something important, I have a collapsable gray card and shoot a gray frame. All I have to do is white balance the gray frame and then tell Aperture to apply the same white balance correction to the rest of the shoot.

When I'm shooting casually, I don't worry too much about white balance (I don't pull out my gray card before snapping casual shots). I adjust the images in post based the level of warmness I like.

I don't see the point in adjusting anything in the camera for WB when Auto gets you close enough. It's so simple in PP to adjust it back to where you want it. In most cases I adjust WB first before anything just to get skin tones where I want them.

It does come down to what body you're shooting with, and how well it calculates WB on its own.

Of course I shoot .NEF.

I don't see the point in adjusting anything in the camera for WB when Auto gets you close enough. It's so simple in PP to adjust it back to where you want it. In most cases I adjust WB first before anything just to get skin tones where I want them.

It does come down to what body you're shooting with, and how well it calculates WB on its own.

Of course I shoot .NEF.
It is simple to change, but the JPG previews you see on the LCD are based on the WB choices you have made prior to clicking the shutter release.

That is reason enough for many people to do it 'right' in camera.

edit
Even though I knowingly do it 'wrong' in camera sometimes. I have my reasons...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back