White Corners

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have often thought "I wish I could see this place through Bitter's eyes" about our house so I tried to channel my "inner Bitter" and took some shots of the super soft light coming in today.
Would love to hear your thoughts!
Thanks for taking a look :)

I really LIKE #1 as an exercise in composition!!! Nicely seen, and nicely rendered. You are progressing very nicely, and are showing us a LOT of skills with the camera!!!

I like these - good abstracts IMO. Just a thought, for the first one, how would the image look if you had the bottom "angles/corners" start in the left and right corners of the image, similar to the way the left one does now, only have the right one start in the same way and then both led in to the vertical "corner" in the middle. I am not sure if it would look any better, different yes, better ?, but it would be a view I would try if I was doing this.

WesternGuy

Those work well. Except, that when abstracting shapes and light, you have to be careful about the "lint" that the camera sees - in this case the drywall tape, and the markings on the wall (second picture, lower left section). I've done some exercises like you did, also inspired by David's very thoughtful work, but am not showing them because the drywall work in my house is not the best (it's an older house, built when drywall was still the "new" material in house construction, so the finishing is a bit rough in places). However, the exercise is absolutely worth repeating, and I've been stalking all kinds of objects and corners which show light on different facets. I look forward to seeing more of your explorations!

Thanks Nandakumar and Derrel :)

I like these - good abstracts IMO. Just a thought, for the first one, how would the image look if you had the bottom "angles/corners" start in the left and right corners of the image, similar to the way the left one does now, only have the right one start in the same way and then both led in to the vertical "corner" in the middle. I am not sure if it would look any better, different yes, better ?, but it would be a view I would try if I was doing this.

WesternGuy

Thanks WesternGuy :) I will give that a try, it might be cool! I visualize a peace sign feel to it using light at sunrise/sunset to get some colour into it ;)

Those work well. Except, that when abstracting shapes and light, you have to be careful about the "lint" that the camera sees - in this case the drywall tape, and the markings on the wall (second picture, lower left section). I've done some exercises like you did, also inspired by David's very thoughtful work, but am not showing them because the drywall work in my house is not the best (it's an older house, built when drywall was still the "new" material in house construction, so the finishing is a bit rough in places). However, the exercise is absolutely worth repeating, and I've been stalking all kinds of objects and corners which show light on different facets. I look forward to seeing more of your explorations!

Ah, that lower left section I included on purpose, it is a plaster ceiling. I wanted to put a little texture into it for something subtly different. I will have to play with different light/compositions with that ceiling in it to see what really works, it is a neat repeating half circle and I think has good potential as an element if done right.

I can totally relate to "imperfect" walls, the house we sold was 100+ yrs old with lath and plaster walls, talk about character! Sometimes you have to embrace the imperfection and figure out how to capture them so that they become part of the image as opposed to a distraction ;) I hope we get to see some of your shots soon! I have always been fascinated by cubism, just hadn't educated myself on what style it actually was (thanks Nandakumar!) the duality of it just twirls my beanie :)

I like em, good geometry. You could even throw a blue filter over them and then people may have to stare harder to figure out what they are ;)

Thanks Spacefuzz :)

I did try different temperatures for this and liked the results for future shots, I decided for this time round to leave it "true". Thanks for the suggestion! I love the idea of added ambiguity to such every day objects :)

Rotate the first one 180º and you have a big winner. The reason: the darkest side of the "cube" makes the composition look top-heavy, and the rotation would solve this.

May the Bitter be with you ;)

Rotate the first one 180º and you have a big winner. The reason: the darkest side of the "cube" makes the composition look top-heavy, and the rotation would solve this.
Wow, ok I liked it before but I think I LOVE it rotated! Posted before and after below, what a BIG difference on such a simple image. Thank you!
May the Bitter be with you ;)
;)

Before

180 turn

Where as I strongly disagree. As shown in the OP, to my mind, the triangle at the base is enough to weigh the image down at the bottom. Triangles oriented like that suggest stability. I think it is key to mess with perception in simple images/compositions like this. By flipping the image, you are giving people a standard view of a corner of a room, and then how it's lit, "makes sense". In your first post, it has a little mystery. Flipped, the mystery is lost.

I think doing abstraction is a perfect opportunity to go against, or play with the elements of design, composition, and perception.

Coming from a guy who knows absolutely nothing about abstract, I THINK I see what Bitter is saying.
Your original makes you study it. Is the corner jutting out towards you or is it recessed?
Your 180 turn makes it very easy to see it's a white ceiling with two white walls.

I'm still not a abstract fan, but this is pretty cool.

Where as I strongly disagree. As shown in the OP, to my mind, the triangle at the base is enough to weigh the image down at the bottom. Triangles oriented like that suggest stability. I think it is key to mess with perception in simple images/compositions like this. By flipping the image, you are giving people a standard view of a corner of a room, and then how it's lit, "makes sense". In your first post, it has a little mystery. Flipped, the mystery is lost.

I think doing abstraction is a perfect opportunity to go against, or play with the elements of design, composition, and perception.
Hey you! :) Thanks for responding.
Now you are making me think, excellent! I will take some time and respond in a bit.

Coming from a guy who knows absolutely nothing about abstract, I THINK I see what Bitter is saying.
Your original makes you study it. Is the corner jutting out towards you or is it recessed?
Your 180 turn makes it very easy to see it's a white ceiling with two white walls.

I'm still not a abstract fan, but this is pretty cool.

Thanks Rick :) I think that the second is easier to look at for sure, it doesn't challenge what you are seeing and perhaps that is why I react positively to the flip.

The funny thing is, when I first posted I almost wrote "these reward the patient viewer" but passed on saying that and let the images speak for themselves. The flip "rewards" the quick viewer.

Rick, if you studied more on the theories of composition and the elements of design, you would probably appreciate abstract work a whole lot more. I am not saying you will like it, though. It could even have a positive effect your own imagery. :sexywink:

Pixel...take our opposing views for what they are. :sexywink:

Most reactions

Back