White/red dot in middle of photos on D4 with nikon 24/70mm 2.8

pab

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Noticed this when I was zooming in on some of my photos today.

I have a nikon D4 with about 15,000 clicks on it.

Here is a photo. Click on it to zoom in.

Any ideas?

24662556939_dbb4fbc9e0_c.jpg

Stuck-on pixel cluster. Zoom in on an image realllllllllllly big, you can probably see that it's something like a 6x6 pixel cluster. Stuck-on pixel groups that are small like this used to be very common in the Fuji S2 Pro camera's sensor, often three,four,five,six of them on some cameras. My D3x has one. Many people call this "hot pixel" syndrome. It's my understanding that it's usually more than just one, single pixel, but usually a small group of them, like 4,5,6,7,8 pixels across.

I've heard that these can be mapped out, but I'm not sure what that entails.

My FUji S2 had them show up quite noticeably, especially in dark conditions, on dark areas, so I would use the clone tool and click-out the offending groups, which were red ones, blue ones, green ones.

Thanks for the detailed response. I just bought the camera last month from a trusted seller on ebay. Would you contact them? Ignore it and clone it? or contact Nikon?

Its not a big deal to clone it out when i see it, but I just bought the camera, and really wanted my workhorse to be good for some time to come without issue!

Thanks for the detailed response. I just bought the camera last month from a trusted seller on ebay. Would you contact them? Ignore it and clone it? or contact Nikon?

Its not a big deal to clone it out when i see it, but I just bought the camera, and really wanted my workhorse to be good for some time to come without issue!
It could be that the seller was not aware of it. If the seller did not actually use the camera, he probably didn't notice it. If it is a photographer, then he might have noticed it, and is hoping that you don't notice it. Anyway, if you expected a better camera, talk to the seller to see if you can return it. Or you can try to map it out if you're not too picky yourself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back