who can tel me what this animal is

keene

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$206.JPG

having a argument at work what animal this is i say a ground hog but they say a beaver sorry not a close up but this close i could get without being seen

The tail looks fairly wide, so I'll go with beaver.

Prairie dog... probably not..

Beaver it is then. I love beaver.

First thought I had on it was maybe a mountain beaver, different from the beaver most folks think of and you are in the wrong part of the country to find a mountain beaver running about. Looking again it almost seems to fit closer to a muskrat and they are pretty common over a wide range.

Tail's too wide for a Muskrat. I'm going to say it's a juvenile groundhog that hasn't managed to get fat yet. Tail doesn't look right for a beaver either and the body build is all wrong as well. Beaver tend to have larger hind-quarters. I'm going against the majority and saying groundhog. Betcha I'm right ;)

That is a groundhog or marmot. A beaver is a large animal with a wide flat leathery rail.
We have LOTS of groundhog here and that is definitely one.
They also have darker hair around the nose where Beavers do not. They are very evenly dark brown all over.

I am going with Woodchuck. I think the tail looks wider due to motion blur. The Beaver usually drags its tail behind it, instead of lifting it up. He looks too big to be a groundhog to me..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back