Who do I contact at the newspaper to apply for a freelance p

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was thinking about contacting some of the local newspapers to see if I can drop my name as a freelance photographer, so if they need someone to go out and take pictures, they can give me a call and pay me for my time and expenses, but im not sure who in the paper to contact.

Does anyone have any ideas? The editor, the manager, the publisher?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Depending on the newspaper, you can see if there is a chief photographer or a photo editor. Just call the paper and ask. You may have to drop off a resume and a prortfolio.
Good Luck

I contacted the photo editor in the photo department. it was in the phone book.. :)

but when i asked him, because of a union thing, they dont acception freelance work, you have to actually work for them. and you have to be experienced for that too :/ whihc sucks because thats what everyone wnats, so I would have no idea how to get a foot in the door with that :(

OK - unions will do that - you can be a scanner chaser - try to get to spot news events before the other photogs and get the shot, or you can try smaller papers and magazines, like a small regional paper or a paper for a town or burg in your area - less pay - more experience. I'd go this route first.
Good Luck

Most reactions

Back