Who is retarded?

• Me

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Architect

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody is attacking you Robin. You made several, fundamental driving errors. Look up rule 11.2 in the Colorado Driver Handbook that I linked to earlier. If you continue to make driving mistakes like you did when you rammed into a pole in a handicapped access area (that's the white-striped area), you might find yourself permanently disabled and in a wheelchair--like my ex-wife did. She was a carefree, speed limits-are-for-suckers kind of driver, and a moment's inattention caused her permanent spinal cord injury. She's a C6-C7 quadriplegic now.

If you cannot maintain control over your Prius in a parking lot, you might want to do some soul-searching regarding how good your driving skills really are. You have a wife and three precious little daughters. Hey man, I KNOW from 20+ years of experience what a traffic accident can do to the lives of multiple people.

The fact that you just backed up into a handicapped access spot like that, and slammed into a pole, and then try to blame it on 'the architect"??? Come on--man up.YOU were the driver. Take some personal responsibility. That pole did not just run up and slam into your car. No...you slammed into it-by being unaware of your surroundings, and by making fundamental driving errors. Go to a driver's education class, and get a book if you doubt my diagnosis. You backed out of a spot and into a regulated area, and caused a minor accident.

He backed into a pole, not an orphanage. Let's relax now. This is definitely being blown out of proportion.

Wanna know what is ( insert politically correct term for retarded)? I read this entire thead! Oh, and Ron made the only comment that made sense.

That's why it is called an accident derrel. **** happens. Can't you give a guy a break? I had a bad day. I made a thread to make fun of me hitting a pole. There is no reason to question my driving ability and attacked me like that. And yes, I still think the placement of the pole is flaw. I inspected post offices for ADA compliant across the country. While this follows the regulation, does not mean it is a good design. They can easily put the sign on the curb where the tree is or make it a SIDE sign.

You hit a Polish architect?

Actually, in traffic safety circles, the term now is not "accident", but rather "crash". Crashes are caused by bad driving. The proper way to back out of a parking space has been known for years,and you did not follow it. You IGNORED the warning markings on the pavement, and slammed into a stationary pole. You failed to show even remote diligence.

You failed to observe rule 11.2 of the Colorado Driver Handbook, which says a driver must scan his surroundings and LOOK carefully, especially when backing up. I can see from the aerial photograph of the lot that you violated basic driving procedures. You willingly backed into a fixed,permanent object that is placed within a white, regulated handicapped access area. The big,white lines in the pavement are designed to alert you to be cautious. Accept some responsibility.

And please, Robin, stop using the term "retarded" as a funny term.

Own up to the fact that the blame resides with YOU, and you alone. Take some personal responsibility. That's something a lot of people of your generation need to do--accept personal responsibility. This was your fault. I am sure your insurance company will tell you the same thing. I spent 20+ years dealing with van-accessible parking and people who drive into those white areas as if they are part of the "road". They are NOT. You arguing with me and trying to deflect blame is silly.

I think you mean "collision". No traffic safety circles say crash, unless it's a traffic safety circle of children in power wheels.

I have to say it bothers me to see the term used although however people want to refer to themselves is up to them. But maybe it would have been better to use a different title for a thread or poll on a public site. You don't know who might be reading it on here who may have a family member with delays in their development; it can be hurtful to them to have their child described using a term like retarded so they may not appreciate seeing it used at all. Certainly people use the term not meaning it to be insulting, or to refer to kids, and may use it as an offhand comment, but it may not be that to people who have a child who might have what can be a lifetime of therapy, special equipment, etc.

As for as the parking lot, I don't think I've seen an accessible parking spot sideways like that... I haven't seen poles at the end of such spots either unless they're parking meters. I have seen plenty of cones plowed over in the spring so around here maybe they decided not to even bother trying poles.

And I think that is quite far enough now that people are trying to derail a generally innocent topic into something its not meant to be.

It's Friday - nearly the end of the week - go do some photography :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back