who knows about this?

Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I ran out of hard disk space and I need to buy a new hard disk and i'm going to get vista. I lost my XP CD and i was looking online to pick up a copy and there's an upgrade version for $130, and another version for $240. Can I do a clean install of the "upgrade" version on a blank drive?

I still have a windows 2000 cd if that's good enough for the "upgrade" if I can't do a clean install.

i don't know about this so I really shouldn't reply...

but if you clean install the windows 2000 it should allow you to upgrade.... what if you never bought XP?? you are still upgrading no?

edit : in the future shoot only basic jpeg in black and white setting to preserve your hard drive ... . lol...

Vista may be a little different, but older versions of Windows would just ask for the old disk to verify eligibility.

ok, thanks!

Just as a point of advice - 2 things

1) you do know vists is a GB and hardware hog - its a sad admission, but its true - so do make sure you are running at least 2GB RAM - you can go up to 4GB (or 3, I forget which) which will be supported by vista 32bit - the 64bit will support more, but has horrid driver and compatability problems

2) Get vista ultimate if you can - really its more stable and reliable than the other editions - you avoid a lot of the problems that many have had with it!

Oh and one more thing - once you have vista installed this annoying program will appear every time you run and exe asking if you want to run the exe. This is called User Account Control and is supposed to stop bad exe (virus) files from running without permission, but in reality half of windows exe programs have strange code names - and any hacker worth his codes will just call the program "vista updates" or something and you will think it OK to click. So go into user account control (where you set your password for accounts) - click on the symbol in the start menu - from there the last option on the list in the new window is Turn User Account Control on/off -- turn it off :)

awesome, thanks!

Yeah, I got 2GB right now and i'm going to get another 2 in the next few months.

I don't need everything that ultimate does and i've been running on XP for years and I can count the number of crashes and lock-ups on one hand, most of which were becuase i failed to clean the dust from my computer.

yeah, Im not sure I would stuff around with vista just yet. I'd get XP SP3. I hope you didnt get anything less that 500gb with your drive. They are so cheap these days. It makes sense to even go up to a TB. We say now that you will never fill it, but we said that a few years ago when they introduced 160gb. Doesnt take much to fill them up especially when you start downloading multiple TV series.

Oh and one more thing - once you have vista installed this annoying program will appear every time you run and exe asking if you want to run the exe. This is called User Account Control and is supposed to stop bad exe (virus) files from running without permission, but in reality half of windows exe programs have strange code names - and any hacker worth his codes will just call the program "vista updates" or something and you will think it OK to click. So go into user account control (where you set your password for accounts) - click on the symbol in the start menu - from there the last option on the list in the new window is Turn User Account Control on/off -- turn it off :)
Man, I've been trying to turn that off for a while now, but couldn't figure out how. I knew there had to be a way though...

Thanks, Overread!

awesome, thanks!

Yeah, I got 2GB right now and i'm going to get another 2 in the next few months.

I don't need everything that ultimate does and i've been running on XP for years and I can count the number of crashes and lock-ups on one hand, most of which were becuase i failed to clean the dust from my computer.

it not really all its features, but more the fact that its more stable than the rest of the vista line (and vista is way more buggy than xp!)

thanks for the info everyone!

Most reactions

Back