Who makes a living out of photography

Do you really want to know? I used to be one of those guys you described. PM me and I can help separate the realty from the dream. (I help a dude in Texas with his portfolio/string book) he got a job working in news.

Gary

Why PM? I'd love to hear it to! :D

Do you really want to know? I used to be one of those guys you described. PM me and I can help separate the realty from the dream. (I help a dude in Texas with his portfolio/string book) he got a job working in news.

Gary

I would love to hear some of your experiences! Im currently a young photojournalist and I have a great passion for this. I am an adventure seeker I have seen and done things people only dream or wish they could do and I had have a few close calls. I have been doing this for 3yrs now and I would like to hear how you tackled different kinds of photo jobs. I also have traveled a bit and have a good amount of expirence ive done photojournalism in Iraq. I would like to hear any tips or advice or knowledge you have to offer since you are a seasoned pro.

ALl professionals I see have at least 2 good bodies. And plenty of professional lenses that cost thousands each. To actually make a living off photography you will probably have to have a lot invested in lenses and bodies.

I don't think so. You should be able to make a good living with almost any camera. I know a guy making $3.5k/mo. just shooting catalogue images with an ancient 4 mp Nikon point and shoot. Another girl friend of mine supplies realtors with lot and structure shots using a Konica/Minolta A2 I sold her second hand almost 3 years ago. She does OK. I dunno exactly but she buys herself a nice new car every two yeas and lives in an fairly expensive building downtown.

From what I gather, going into it without any connections is a pretty vast challenge. I got a pretty lucky break from a friend who I had been assisting occasionally over the last year. I got a message from him saying he had an opportunity for me, I responded, got an interview and now I've been working at a good studio for three months. It was supposed to be a part time job, but after working very hard, they've opted to keep me on for as long as they I choose to work here.

When your starting out, learn everything you can before you start. Your work will speak for you, and if you don't have good work and do a good job, you will be considered a joke by your colleagues and probably fail in your first year from a bad reputation. The best ways to learn are reading, assisting and just taking a ton of pictures. One thing that has helped me is constantly staring at my boss's photos (because I color correct and edit a lot of his work), as it helps me think of cool shots and this and that.

The hardest part seems to be knowing when to start. There are a lot of people that get out there without any experience and don't make it. You have to know what your doing before you can make a profession out of it, and believe me, it's not as easy as it seems.

ALl professionals I see have at least 2 good bodies. And plenty of professional lenses that cost thousands each. To actually make a living off photography you will probably have to have a lot invested in lenses and bodies.

That's not entirely true. I know a couple people who pretty much use like three primes to shoot a job (around a thousand dollars worth of glass depending on your taste), and it comes out looking good. It's nice to have a whole heap of expensive glass, but being smart with a couple lenses is far better than spending half your time switching lenses around and wondering why you can't think of a good shot.

Also, my boss shot a wedding with a borrowed 1DS mk3 a while ago, and he ended up shooting 75 gigs worth of memory. That gets border-line retarded and in my opinion is ridiculous. Just because it's super high-end doesn't make it the best for a given job.

...ended up shooting 75 gigs worth of memory. That gets border-line retarded and in my opinion is ridiculous. Just because it's super high-end doesn't make it the best for a given job.

That is completely insane

~Michael~

That is completely insane

~Michael~

Yeah, not just cause of the sheer amount of actual memory cards used, but all the stuff we have to backup and then sift through and edit. It took 17 DVD's to fit all the raws and then it made lightroom freeze like 5 times when trying to convert the ones we wanted. 21mb files for the lose.

Why PM? I'd love to hear it to! :D

Firstly, let me qualify my experiences as being from the film only days. I shot news for about 15 years then decided to get a real job, make real money and have a real family.

I am sure that Snyder has more relevant and up to date information.

There was a time when anybody who could work a darkroom qualified for a position as a news photographer. In the 70s, major news organizations started phasing out these photographers and started replacing them (usually through retirement) with photo journalists (photogs with degrees in communications/journalism).

Typically, as with most reporters/photogs, one would start out working on a small paper and then move up as the opportunity opened to middle sized papers then finally larger metro papers or wire service (once again all dependant on luck and abilities). One will starve at small papers, starve less at middle sized papers and do okay at large papers.

There are always exceptions to the rules. I suspect that with newspapers going out of business the internet becoming a significant news source that there are more exceptions then before.

Typically, to break into news one would become a stringer. A stringer is a part-time reporter or photog that covers after hours / weekend events when the full time reporters / photogs are off. i.e. Night Time high school sports. Stringing opens the door for the neophyte, allows the stringer to become familiar with the system, the staff and professional exceptations (both image wise and conduct wise) of the paper.

After proving oneself by stringing and learning the ropes at the paper one can start requesting certain assignments. Ultimately, the paper will hire a stringer over a stranger.

Another way is to get a scanner (radio) and monitor fast breaking news, usually fire and police department activity. This is another ice breaker which may open the door to stringing.

Both these activities will help you develop your "String Book" as it was called way back in the film only days. The String Book is a portfolio of clippings, shots and stories that were printed. The String Book is your resume. It shows capability of working under deadline and how you covered the story.

Traditionally, this is how most photogs entered the news biz.

Once again, to work full time staff for a major news organization you will need a degree. One's reporting skills are more important than one's photographic skills. (I am not not saying that photographic skills are unimportant ... but rather that it is more important to know how to cover a story and how to develop a story than the ability to capture eight zones/EVs on every exposure.)

When I was working news assignments came in these flavors:

1) Already Set-Up
Suff like sports or press conferences, stuff which you just go and shoot what's there.

2) W/ a Reporter
Assignments which you go to with a reporter. On these assignments the reporter usually has a certain angle and the two of you discussed how that angle will effect the art (images) ... and you shoot accordingly.

3) W/ A Story
The editorial staff or photo editor will hand you a story and say get some art. You have to read the story and make your own arrangements with the various elements in the story to get the photos.

Sometimes you'll chat with the reporter and/or editors on what their expectations may be. Often, you will have to do your own research and dig up potential photo opps or just to get some background so your photographs will reflect a better and deeper understanding of the story other than a cursory shot.

4) Filler/Feature Art
On slow days you have to shoot stuff which is self generated feature stuff. This is usually weather related or just pretty stuff.

5) Personal Stories
Some news organizations will allow you to develop and cover your own stories. Often you will have to write and shoot this stuff. When I worked for UPI I was on "Special Assignment" (as opposed to General Assignment). Most of my work was self generated and I didn't have to shoot stuff like press conferences and mundane assignments.

Gary

Jodie, you are inspiring. I have read every word you have written on this thread and then visited your site as well. Damn. I'm going to use you as an example as I set up my business. Thank you.

Same here. I am 29 years old and still haven't found a career or even working towards a career. Just take jobs that last 3 or 4 years til I move on. I am looking into taking classes in photography or just going to school. I have enjoyed takin pictures since I was a kid and have always been told that I should persue it because I have a pretty good eye for it. Jodie, at first I thought you came across as cocky, but you are not. You do have an awesome business set up and I will try to use you as an example after I hone my skills. Thanks

I make money off of photography.

Specifically I photograph for www.snorgtees.com and I do some weddings, family pics, portraits for models and some various news photos and etc.

However, I do NOT make a living off of photography.

Big difference.

Same here. I am 29 years old and still haven't found a career or even working towards a career. Just take jobs that last 3 or 4 years til I move on. I am looking into taking classes in photography or just going to school. I have enjoyed takin pictures since I was a kid and have always been told that I should persue it because I have a pretty good eye for it. Jodie, at first I thought you came across as cocky, but you are not. You do have an awesome business set up and I will try to use you as an example after I hone my skills. Thanks

I'm sorry I sounded cocky... I guess after you have been doing this long enough, you get a little on the cold side - for example, so many people give away their work, say how fun it is to do this for a living... well after taking so many customers, getting walked on, and argued with for your pricing, you finally get cold and say, "no, I am worth what I charge, I am not giving you a deal, no I cannot keep your pictures for a year while you decide, no I will not just give you the digital negatives, no I won't take a check the day that I deliver the pictures - you have to pay and your check has to clear before I even order the pictures from the lab...."

While there are days that it is fun, ultimately, it's a job. One piece of advice I give to anyone starting out in this business is this - what's more important than your photos is your business sense. What's more important (IMO) than taking photography classes is taking business classes - learn how to run a succesful business. It goes like this...

Obviously, the best is to be the amazing photographer with great business skills but....

A sucky photographer with good business skills will do better (in most cases) than an amazing photographer with no business skills.

The business skills is what will make you a succesful business that you can make a living off of.

I'm sorry I sounded cocky...

I haven't read every post in this thread, but a quick visit to your website and it's my opinion that you get to be as cocky as you want. Your work rocks!

Since 2003 100% of my income has come from photography. Mostly weddings and some portraits, a few commercial projects, and I manage to sell some as fine art. I'm not getting rich, and I'm lousy at business, but I make more than I did at my previous job, get to write off all sorts of toys, and it's a lot more fun.

Yeah thats kinda the neat thing about photography, is you don't necessarily need a formal education in it to "start a business". But like Jody and others have said, you should have business training so you don't run yourself into the ground.

I haven't made any money off my photos yet, but I would like to try and sell some matted art prints to see if I can make some extra cash. I'm not aiming to make it a business though.

"no, I am worth what I charge, I am not giving you a deal, no I cannot keep your pictures for a year while you decide, no I will not just give you the digital negatives, no I won't take a check the day that I deliver the pictures - you have to pay and your check has to clear before I even order the pictures from the lab...."

I think any one who applies for a business license to open a photography business should have this tattooed across their chest.

Jodie, you forgot to add the classic "Failure to plan on your part does not necessitate an emergency on my part."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back