Who says mobile phones are not digital still camera's?

20120922_073348_Copy_.jpg

The above was taken with a Samsung GT-i9100 Galaxy S2 mobile phone using a Back-lit CMOS sensor at 8.0MP. I asked the Nikon Photo competition if they would allow it. And they just said "NO!"... I submitted it anyway :lol:

Very nice! Anything that take a pix is a cam. A lady artists made a pinhole cam she put in her mouth to shoot pix with a eye border shaped from the mouth. It was her mouth cam. Good work and good you submitted it as well.

20120922_073348_Copy_.jpg

The above was taken with a Samsung GT-i9100 Galaxy S2 mobile phone using a Back-lit CMOS sensor at 8.0MP. I asked the Nikon Photo competition if they would allow it. And they just said "NO!"... I submitted it anyway :lol:

Very nice! Anything that take a pix is a cam. A lady artists made a pinhole cam she put in her mouth to shoot pix with a eye border shaped from the mouth. It was her mouth cam. Good work and good you submitted it as well.

eek.gif
leaving that one alone =)

Is OP arguing the point "cell phone cams are acceptable for quality images"? I'm on the lost train =)

Until my cell phone can work with my pocket wizards I consider it useless.

You got that intervelometer for your phone to your camera, right? How's that working for you?

Is OP arguing the point "cell phone cams are acceptable for quality images"? I'm on the lost train =)

They are!!! At least for viewing at small sizes online. Or printing smaller sizes. Which also depends on the viewing distance suggested. A 8mp camera phone should be able to print out an 8x10 no problem. With upsampling maybe even a bit larger.

iPhone photo prints: How big can you go?

I'll be honest that I have never printed images from my cell phone or plan to but that is not to say it isn't possible.

If I ever need to take a photo of myself in a mirror or what I am having for lunch I will reach for my phone.
The two main criteria for Facebook/Instagram "photographers."

I say Hell Yes Samsung does the Digital greatly, but then again it is in no condition to compete with Nikon......!!!
Its too simple, A Samsung is not a camera nor it is made for photography, whereas Nikon is construct for this purpose.... Now if you customize a Samsung that reaches the quality of Nikon, how can you say Samsung is way better or at least capable like Nikon...?

I'm not here to argue that my phone camera is better than my DSLR. But Nikon should remember that it is a photo competition! Photo's are digital images taken through light sent to a sensor through a set of lenses! I own a Cybershot DSC-W210 I bought in 2009, my galaxy S2 camera shoots far more detail than the Cybershot camera and with less noise! The problem is the image taken with the W210 is acceptable to the competition! While comparatively the far high quality image of the phone is not just because we call it a phone camera!

We can argue about this all day but Nikon is conducting a PHOTO competition! so camera's are camera's! Weather its in side your car or inside your phone.... Its a set of a lenses projecting a image onto a digital image sensor!

I'm not here to argue that my phone camera is better than my DSLR. But Nikon should remember that it is a photo competition! Photo's are digital images taken through light sent to a sensor through a set of lenses! I own a Cybershot DSC-W210 I bought in 2009, my galaxy S2 camera shoots far more detail than the Cybershot camera and with less noise! The problem is the image taken with the W210 is acceptable to the competition! While comparatively the far high quality image of the phone is not just because we call it a phone camera!

We can argue about this all day but Nikon is conducting a PHOTO competition! so camera's are camera's! Weather its in side your car or inside your phone.... Its a set of a lenses projecting a image onto a digital image sensor!

Was it a cell phone camera comp?

All I'll say is: phone camera's are in a different league from DSLR's. Not just in the obvious ways. Competitions are for those that are serious about photography and wanna show off their best shot(s), these are mostly entered by pros, people that intend to try and become pros, and the occasional dude who shrugs his shoulders and enters for ****s and giggles.

The way I see it, this is the atmosphere that Nikon wants with its competition(s), and when they see someone entering a picture taken with a phone camera (however good it may look for a picture taken by such device), they just don't see it as being at the same level, it seems lazy, or better yet, it kinda makes you seem like you're not taking anything seriously (even if you are.)

Basically: phone cameras are in their own little "casual, everyday, amateur-hour" category and don't fit in with anything that has to do with actual digital cameras.

Nikon should have a condition that says you have to send the Exif data aswel, or the raw image.

This way, they can immediately see which competitors they have to delete from the contest.

Anyway... I'm off entering a Cell Phone Camera Contest with my Nikon DSLR photos :cool:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back