Who wants 12 megapixels?

W.Smith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Wednesday, 8 November 2006
Compacts megapixel race not over
Just when we had hoped that the megapixel race was over for compact cameras Sharp has gone and announced a twelve megapixel 1/1.7" sensor.
12 megapixels.

12 in a compact...overkill, big time.

If there's going to be 12 MP in a non SLR camera, it should be a model with a good quality lens and long zoom, IE Panasonics FZ7.

This many MP in a compact is just for the bragging rights.

CMan said:
12 in a compact...overkill, big time.

If there's going to be 12 MP in a non SLR camera, it should be a model with a good quality lens and long zoom, IE Panasonics FZ7.

This many MP in a compact is just for the bragging rights.

I think you'll see a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ12 within a year.

And, imo, there IS an upside to hi-res cams: suddenly the digital zoom becomes useable!

Thats crazy! cramming all that info on a 1/8th sensor!

darich said:
i love having 12(.:cool: megapixels.....but then mine are all in a full frame DSLR!
Thats under kill imo.. lol. The full frame sensors can produce 100's of mega pixels as we will soon see. I guess they would have an imposable time processing and moving the info onto the cards yet.

$naps! said:
Thats crazy! cramming all that info on a 1/8th sensor!

Thats under kill imo.. lol. The full frame sensors can produce 100's of mega pixels as we will soon see. I guess they would have an imposable time processing and moving the info onto the cards yet.
So not megapixels, but bus speed, buffer capacity, and processor power will become the bottleneck factors.

W.Smith said:
So not megapixels, but bus speed, buffer capacity, and processor power will become the bottleneck factors.
And even then, with CF cards that can write at 40mb/s and buffers that will soon follow suit, cameras are just going to get higher resolution and faster!

Whee!

yeah my casio 10.1mp p+s gives me no better image than my friend's canon 7mp p+s

Sorry guys, I think I dissagree with the general theme developing here.... I always used to carry a little compact (Mju or T5 ) in my pocket. I would have carried a Mamiya RZ but I (A). Didn't have one . and (B). Didn't have big enough pockets, If I had just think of the image quality I could have caught... As it was I always loaded with Velvia and prayed for good luck with the light , or a nearby sturdy wall to act as a tripod if and when the photo oportunity arose.
My point being (Good grief I hear you say.... is he FINALLY getting to the point..). If you can place a 12 (or even more) Mp Sensor behind a Canon / Nikon / Carl Zeiss optic. wrap it all in a little box the size of lens cap, and sell it at a reasonable price......... Go for it... (And put me down for one!!!).

W.Smith said:
I think you'll see a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ12 within a year.

Put me down for one of those in black.:mrgreen:

Who wants 12 megapixels?

Well.... :blushing:

I have a 5D, but I usually opt for the 10D for senior portraits. It's rare (for me) to get an order for anything larger than 20x24 from a senior, and they expect to see more and more images. I wanted to cut down on processing time and storage space, so I went back for the smaller files. Of course, if there's a chance of selling a larger print, I go back to the 5D.

Pete

Couldn't you just use the 5D and reduce the actual size of the images? :scratch:

I would think that the 5D would still have superior image quality, even if the prints are not too large. But if the 10D gives you great prints...then I just that's fine too.

Christie Photo said:
Who wants 12 megapixels?
It's rare (for me) to get an order for anything larger than 20x24 from a senior

Pete

If I'm arranging prints then it's not uncommon for me to order a 30 x 20 even if it's just for myself. When they're printed well and framed professionally they look excellent.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back