Who wants a photography job that pays good money

In addition to extreme resolution, LF photography allow lens and film plane tilts and movements that extend DOF and straighten perspective that cannot be done with most smaller formats.

Why they need this to be large format film photography ? Why digital is not good enough ? Is there any reason for it ?

My guess is resolution.
How it compares ?

To digital, yes.

You can easily get a 600-800 megapixel image from a 8x10 negative.

I can get 1.26gp out of a 4x5 neg. That's far more than any software I have is capable of handling. I have to choke it back to 600mp just to edit anything.
But what's the actual point? Where is that kind or resolution needed or warranted? Are they planning to print something the size of an IMAX screen but still want people to be able to put their nose 3" from it and still see detail?
Beats me. Its not my requirement so I can't answer for them.

Yes, it is mysterious. I heard about a guy who has actual 8x10 sensor built for him. It is only 10 MP and serves only for the camera and light setup help, like a polaroid, but for US government should be no problem to have 1gp sensor of this size. (Or better.) Why to go with film ?

In addition to extreme resolution, LF photography allow lens and film plane tilts and movements that extend DOF and straighten perspective that cannot be done with most smaller formats.
Do you think that's the reasoning behind this?

Here are two quotes from the original job advertisement. Some phrases would indicate that much of the work will be done with the most modern digital equipment. Years ago I worked with some of the guys on the team they had then and it was about the best job in photography there was at the time. Unlimited (almost) budget to buy gear and travel.
I was using a 4X5 but wanted some help with a 5X7 view camera and the guy there was using the big view camera as his everyday camera.

"Produces large-format photographic documentation to the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the HABS/HAER/HALS permanent collection at the Library of Congress. Develops photographic guidelines and standards for traditional and born-digital photographic processes and products. Produces exhibition quality prints for exhibition, publication, or other visual purposes. Evaluates submissions and provides advice and assistance concerning production of photographic documentation for donations to the collection or for mitigation purposes"
--------------------
"utilizing a variety of photographic techniques and methods to document materials having historical, architectural or engineering values; utilizing the most recent advancements in the field of photography and of the range of new equipment, experimental materials, techniques, or processes to create photographic products that meet customer requirements; evaluating possibilities for improvements, modifications, or replacements of existing equipment, materials, and techniques; "

Just now seeing this discussion.
I've done a few HAER reports, photos, not writing, and believe they want a LF film original because sometimes you'll find yourself in very remote locations and if some malfunction occurs with your gear, LF film can be rigged to function in the field easier. You have to submit a negative and two contacts. Pretty sure they digitize the film for their purposes after it is approved and excepted. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back