Who wants to help critique my resume?

How does it have nothing with sports?
most of which have nothing to do with sports photography.
So I have MMA, Jeep, cheer, football at training camps, highschool events that range from football to volleyball, cheer competitions.

Where should I be putting those?

And I'm not taking out my job history or education. They may have nothing to do with photography. But it shows I have done something with my life instead of sitting around.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I dont know too much about resumes, so i wont be too much help as far as formatting goes....
but for what its worth, if your really serious about the job, and you think that a proper resume might make a difference, then I would look around
for a professional "resume builder". might find someone locally, might find an online source. easy enough to email them your current resume and have them tweak it for you.
couldnt say how much it would cost, but like photography, a "good" resume might just be worth paying for.

Where should I be putting those?
If you mean; "where" as in; formatting, you put it where it makes the most sense.

As you prepare for your visit to the resume writer, I suggest you get your portfolio in order. Assemble your best sports photographs in a concise, well-organized and presented portfolio that shows you know how to take photographs of football.

You're exceedingly welcome.

I dont know too much about resumes, so i wont be too much help as far as formatting goes....
but for what its worth, if your really serious about the job, and you think that a proper resume might make a difference, then I would look around
for a professional "resume builder". might find someone locally, might find an online source. easy enough to email them your current resume and have them tweak it for you.
couldnt say how much it would cost, but like photography, a "good" resume might just be worth paying for.
Thanks. They are not much, 125$ for a photographer.

I will hire one. I was just seeing if anyone here knew if I should have something in an area or not.

Thank you

I think there have been enough comments made on grammar, formatting, etc. I'll leave that alone.

First and foremost, what position are you applying for? What I see is a piece of paper that lists some generic photography experience and that's it...

Moving on: "Skills" - They don't care about manual settings, white balance or your fancy Elinchrom lights. Likewise your lenses and printing. This is utterly irrelevant. As to "Background" WTF? WHO CARES???

The past experience/education is good.

"Accomplishments" "Increased yearly revenue"? For who and why do I care? "Employee of the month - Circuit City"??? Really? "Won gold in Skills USA" What skills? What is this?
"S3 Magazine"? What? Did you shoot the cover? HOW were you acknowledged for your photography at USFFC? My Mom said she liked a picture I shot; that's an acknowledgement!

Start with the position(s) for which you are applying, and then tailor EVERYTHING in the resume and covering letter to that. As a photographer for the NFL (there can't be more than... oh.. 10,000 people looking for that job) you need to emphasize the skills that go along with that. You need to be able to think and work independently, problem solve, work calmly under pressure and tight deadlines, and above all have a top-notch portfolio.

Start by getting some good NFL and college-level shots. Start with 25 and pare it down to ten. Have those printed and put into a HIGH QUALITY portfolio. I would go with 6 game shots and 4 player portraits (all different teams) for the final cut, but that's just me. FWIW, I saw NOTHING on your website that IMO, would even get you passed the secretary's secretary. I'm not calling your work down, but you're trying to move into a whole new level, and VERY, VERY few people make it.

All that said, good luck!

I think there have been enough comments made on grammar, formatting, etc. I'll leave that alone.

First and foremost, what position are you applying for? What I see is a piece of paper that lists some generic photography experience and that's it...

Moving on: "Skills" - They don't care about manual settings, white balance or your fancy Elinchrom lights. Likewise your lenses and printing. This is utterly irrelevant. As to "Background" WTF? WHO CARES???

The past experience/education is good.

"Accomplishments" "Increased yearly revenue"? For who and why do I care? "Employee of the month - Circuit City"??? Really? "Won gold in Skills USA" What skills? What is this?
"S3 Magazine"? What? Did you shoot the cover? HOW were you acknowledged for your photography at USFFC? My Mom said she liked a picture I shot; that's an acknowledgement!

Start with the position(s) for which you are applying, and then tailor EVERYTHING in the resume and covering letter to that. As a photographer for the NFL (there can't be more than... oh.. 10,000 people looking for that job) you need to emphasize the skills that go along with that. You need to be able to think and work independently, problem solve, work calmly under pressure and tight deadlines, and above all have a top-notch portfolio.

Start by getting some good NFL and college-level shots. Start with 25 and pare it down to ten. Have those printed and put into a HIGH QUALITY portfolio. I would go with 6 game shots and 4 player portraits (all different teams) for the final cut, but that's just me. FWIW, I saw NOTHING on your website that IMO, would even get you passed the secretary's secretary. I'm not calling your work down, but you're trying to move into a whole new level, and VERY, VERY few people make it.

All that said, good luck!
LOL thanks for laying off the grammar. because that is something a resume builder will be fixing. I will make it a little more in detail the accomplishments. And change the word acknowledged to "award", because that is what it was.

as for my portfolio. that is what I plan on doing if I got an interview.

...as for my portfolio. that is what I plan on doing if I got an interview.
Submit that WITH your resume, or you will never get an interview. You have to have a hook that grabs them, and if you a job as a photographer, the only good hook is your work.

Submit that WITH your resume, or you will never get an interview. You have to have a hook that grabs them, and if you a job as a photographer, the only good hook is your work.

This - also consider putting together a professional looking website that JUST shows your best in what you're applying for. List that website first and foremost and clearly. You can always put in a second link to your other website that is more general. The idea is that you're showing your results; your photography in the field that they want you for.

In a creative pitch that's going to be a core part of what they are after from you before anything else. All the rest is important, but unless its a training position; chances are you won't get far unless you can wow them with your photography in 10 shots or so.

Ok, so quick tip. You want an interview? Realize that it has nothing to do with you, it's all about cya. Or at least that's how almost every HR department on the planet functions.

So, put this resume down as a reference. Go and look at the actual ad where they posted what they are looking for in terms of qualifications.

Then write your resume specifically so you can check most if not all of those boxes back to their HR department. Don't make them guess or infer, they won't. Make sure your resume speaks specifically to the qualifications they say they want.

That will get you an interview. The rest is up to you.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Reason I have so many 50+ photos in football is so it shows different teams. 2 NFL teams, and then semi pro teams.
One more thought just crossed my mind: Does the NFL actually hire photographers? I was not aware that there could actually be a job in the NFL as a paid photographer. If so, then I learned something new.

And if so, then the existing photographers are the people who are your competition. Even if the NFL should decide they need to hire one more photographer, you will still have to be that good. So how good are you?

My own presumption (based on nothing at all) is that all the photographers we see along the sidelines are freelance photographers, not hired by anybody, let alone the NFL.

So here's your homework assignment for the week:

1. Find out if the NFL actually hires photographers, and how many, and where they work, and how they are paid.

2. Compare your football photographs with those that have been shot by the pros who are already on the sidelines. Are yours at least that good or better? Can you produce that level of work consistently?

You can turn in your homework at any time this week before Friday at 3:00 pm. Thanks.

This - also consider putting together a professional looking website that JUST shows your best in what you're applying for. List that website first and foremost and clearly. You can always put in a second link to your other website that is more general. The idea is that you're showing your results; your photography in the field that they want you for.

In a creative pitch that's going to be a core part of what they are after from you before anything else. All the rest is important, but unless its a training position; chances are you won't get far unless you can wow them with your photography in 10 shots or so.
Thank you. This is what I needed to hear.

I have someone working on my resume that I hired. So I'll update the thread later.
Ok, so quick tip. You want an interview? Realize that it has nothing to do with you, it's all about cya. Or at least that's how almost every HR department on the planet functions.

So, put this resume down as a reference. Go and look at the actual ad where they posted what they are looking for in terms of qualifications.

Then write your resume specifically so you can check most if not all of those boxes back to their HR department. Don't make them guess or infer, they won't. Make sure your resume speaks specifically to the qualifications they say they want.

That will get you an interview. The rest is up to you.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Way too wordy. Resume is about talking points, leave the discussion for an interview.

I'm going to be honest here. Your 'skills' section is kind pretty derpy and the print section in particular stands out to me. Everything here reads like 'stuff you heard somewhere'. Do you know why you can print a billboard at lower resolution? And teh web part is just wrong.

The problem is that you don't have space to shoot the sh*t over technical matters on a resume. Just list out your skills.

Your objective/profile/philosophy should be one or two sentences. Just a brief statement. Mine is "To provide the highest quality visual products while incorporating novel solutions into existing workflows."

That's it.

Sums up everything about my approach to visual effects. My skills section takes up less space than your profile.

Does the NFL actually hire photographers? I was not aware that there could actually be a job in the NFL as a paid photographer. If so, then I learned something new.

1. Find out if the NFL actually hires photographers, and how many, and where they work, and how they are paid.

2. Compare your football photographs with those that have been shot by the pros who are already on the sidelines. Are yours at least that good or better? Can you produce that level of work consistently?

You can turn in your homework at any time this week before Friday at 3:00 pm. Thanks.
^This. If they do have staff photographers, are they employed at the corporate level (the "NFL") or at the franchise/individual team level?

As far as resume writing, in general, look at the local community college and see if they have a class or workshop in how to write them. Sometimes local governments will have job fairs that may include resume writing workshops.

Most reactions

Back