Why are there no fast zoom lenses?

agp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Canon and Nikon have 18-55mm f2.8 lenses, but why are there nothing such as 18-55 f1.4 lenses? Or any zoom (with a large range) lenses with large aperture?

I'm gonna go ahead with: there is just no big enough market for those types of lenses, there is no physical reason it isn't possible. I'm still waiting on a f0.7 prime.

The 'faster' a lens (wider maximum aperture) is, the larger the glass lens elements have to be, the more precise each lens element has to be 'figured', and the more optical aberration 'fixing' lens elements a lens needs.

Lens have to be polished and shaped (figured) on 2 sides.

Zoom lenses add several layers of lens design complication when compared to prime (no zoom) lens design.
While computers have made zoom lens design a lot easier there are still many design compromises even computers are not able top overcome.

Yes, the size of the potential market DOES play a big factor in what lens designs actually make it beyond the drawing boards and into real-world, manufactured zoom lenses; for the third-party lens makers, like Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina, they aim for market niches where they determine there exists a sufficient number of potential buyers to make it worthwhile to design, prototype,test, and then re-work and refine, and then finally maker a finalized lens. The lens designs we have today are, for the most part, lens designs that are 1) fairly easily made and 2)ones which have demonstrated pretty good marketplace sales; that's why 24-70mm f/2.8 lenses are made by so many makers, and also why 70-200 f/2.8 lenses are made by many makers.

On the other hand, there ARE some really "fast" lenses; Sigma's 200mm-500mm f/2.8 is a very fast zoom lens, but it weighs a lot, and costs more than many cars cost, and it has almost zero market penetration; most people think it was done simply to generate publicity, and as a demonstration of prowess.http://www.google.com/search?q=SIgm...yEIjyoASz0YLAAQ&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1443&bih=956

On the other hand, Sigma's 18-35mm f/1.8 for small image circle cameras...now THAT is an affordable lens, AND ALSO one that breaks the 2nd rule I layed out above: it's a never-been-done-before lens design...NOBODY has ever made a zoom lens in that range with that type of fast aperture for still cameras. So, there's no track record to bet on...it's a whole new offering-as is the 200-500mm f/2.8 Sigma.

As a general rule, most lens making companies are fairly conservative in their product offerings, and most of the companies hew pretty close to the "me-too!" design parameters. I think mostly the camera companies and the lens making companies want to make lenses that they feel certain have a good chance to sell lots of units, or make a lot of profit on. Once one company makes a normal-use lens design that succeeds, it's not too long before others take note and offer something either identical, similar, or perhaps a bit "better". This excludes oddball, specialty, and one-off lenses like say, Canon's MP-E 65 Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo which has been out of production for literally years, but sells so,so slowly that there's still loads of NOS, or New Old Stock still available. Same with the Sigma 200-500 f/2.8--NO other company is rushing to match that lens...it's not going to be a good seller due to its size, bulk, and price.

I'm gonna go ahead with: there is just no big enough market for those types of lenses, there is no physical reason it isn't possible. I'm still waiting on a f0.7 prime.

you can get a 50mm 0.95 prime ... it just costs a few dollars more than the nifty-fifty too !!
Leica 50mm Noctilux-M f/0.95 ASPH (6-bit) - DigitalRev

The weird thing about the nikon version is that they actually went half a stop backwards, it is probably because the price increases disproportionately for that little increase in light. Nikon 58 mm / F 1,4 AF-S NIKKOR G Objektiv: Amazon.de: Kamera & Foto

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
From what I've read, Nikon has a f/0.95 lens too but for 4/3rds sensors
goes back to the costs. Govo (?) makes it who makes CCTV lenses .. there's a bunch info why CCTV lenses are like this and why it's good for small sensors.

Nikon also has made f/1.2 lenses .. you just have to look for them.

also you should do an internet search on
Leitz Summar 75mm f/0.85

take a look at pictures of that lens !!

Yes, the size of the potential market DOES play a big factor in what lens designs actually make it beyond the drawing boards and into real-world, manufactured zoom lenses; for the third-party lens makers, like Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina, they aim for market niches where they determine there exists a sufficient number of potential buyers to make it worthwhile to design, prototype,test, and then re-work and refine, and then finally maker a finalized lens. The lens designs we have today are, for the most part, lens designs that are 1) fairly easily made and 2)ones which have demonstrated pretty good marketplace sales; that's why 24-70mm f/2.8 lenses are made by so many makers, and also why 70-200 f/2.8 lenses are made by many makers.

On the other hand, there ARE some really "fast" lenses; Sigma's 200mm-500mm f/2.8 is a very fast zoom lens, but it weighs a lot, and costs more than many cars cost, and it has almost zero market penetration; most people think it was done simply to generate publicity, and as a demonstration of prowess.SIgma 200-500 - Google Search

On the other hand, Sigma's 18-35mm f/1.8 for small image circle cameras...now THAT is an affordable lens, AND ALSO one that breaks the 2nd rule I layed out above: it's a never-been-done-before lens design...NOBODY has ever made a zoom lens in that range with that type of fast aperture for still cameras. So, there's no track record to bet on...it's a whole new offering-as is the 200-500mm f/2.8 Sigma.

As a general rule, most lens making companies are fairly conservative in their product offerings, and most of the companies hew pretty close to the "me-too!" design parameters. I think mostly the camera companies and the lens making companies want to make lenses that they feel certain have a good chance to sell lots of units, or make a lot of profit on. Once one company makes a normal-use lens design that succeeds, it's not too long before others take note and offer something either identical, similar, or perhaps a bit "better". This excludes oddball, specialty, and one-off lenses like say, Canon's MP-E 65 Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo which has been out of production for literally years, but sells so,so slowly that there's still loads of NOS, or New Old Stock still available. Same with the Sigma 200-500 f/2.8--NO other company is rushing to match that lens...it's not going to be a good seller due to its size, bulk, and price.
The reviews of that monster Sigma lens are hilarious. Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 APO EX DG Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens for Nikon DSLR Cameras

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
On the other hand, there ARE some really "fast" lenses; Sigma's 200mm-500mm f/2.8 is a very fast zoom lens, but it weighs a lot, and costs more than many cars cost, and it has almost zero market penetration; most people think it was done simply to generate publicity, and as a demonstration of prowess.SIgma 200-500 - Google Search

Sort of reminds me of that scene from Iron Man, "That's a publicity stunt. We knew it wasn't going to be cost effective when we built it. We built that thing to shut the hippies up"

Lol.

Oh, no offense there OH.. lol

Sort of reminds me of that scene from Iron Man, "That's a publicity stunt. We knew it wasn't going to be cost effective when we built it. We built that thing to shut the hippies up"

Lol.

Oh, no offense there OH.. lol
It was that or put up big billboards on the major cities in the world and buy ad time. There is some psychology to this thing, people the world over build elaborate and big constructs for tourism. A lot of foreigners and kids here for example buy a car that has the brand Mercedes or BMW on it even if it is the lowest of the low end models in the hopes that some prestige will rub off on them. It is a smart move on Sigma's part in my opinion to play on peoples vanity.

Most reactions

Back