Why are we fighting so hard to impress each other?

Why do people put so much emphasis on impressing fellow photographers when it doesn't seem to be a requirment in the actual world?

Who told you it isn't? Ok, maybe requirement is a bit much but I do try and impress my fellow artists whether as a photog or as a painter. Who else am I going to impress? People who have never tried to shoot a photo or paint a canvas? Hell no. As long as they buy something, I couldn't care less if those people are impressed or not. Frankly, if he buys something because my name is Suchandsuch and he hopes his investment is going to grow, that's fine with me. If she buys something in hope of going to bed with me, that's fine too.

But if I impress a fellow artist who impresses me, then I know I'm doing something right.

And since I was once a young artist I know how much it matters to get a nod from a recognized artist so I make darn sure and give a nod to those who cross my path and deserve it. I have met a couple of those here and I gave them the nod. One of them is now showing in the same gallery I am.

A couple more I gave an encouraging nod to so as to give them a boost, a kick in the rear end so to speak, to see what would develop next, to help them develop a next. One dropped off the face of the earth. Another is not interested. Maybe he's scared. A third is working on something and, I hope, she is going to explode the art world someday.

Anyways, all this to say there is nothing wrong with wanting to impress your fellow artists. Trying to do it here is kind of funny though considering this is such an amateur level forum.

Yes there are some pros here but that doesn't really mean a darn thing. There are, however, some really amazing photogs here but they don't post a whole lot and you need to keep your eyes peeled for their threads. And then, there are a few truly wonderful ones who post a couple times, get no reaction whatsoever and move on. To catch those you need to keep your eyes wide open 24/7.

Get to work.

Work as in "try to impress those."

Cheers.

I may miss some things by merely reading on here. True. But I could sit on here for the next 5 years and that will still be the case. If I can learn a few things here and there by reading (and I have), great!! Is that a cop out? Not at all. I don't tell a guy that knows the name of every mma submission that he's copping out by not fighting. He's a fan of the sport (or hobby) and that's enough for him. I'm a fan of photography & that's enough for me. If my photos please me and the untrained eyes that view them, I'm happy. Isn't that what it's all about? Meeting our own satisfaction? If someone else's idea of satisfaction is admiration of those on here, have at it. I fully understand it & it certainly will make them a better photographer. Its just not one of my needs in this hobby. .

I understand.... and if that is all you are wanting, that is cool! If you ever decide you want more.. we will be here! :)

Most reactions

Back