Why aren't pictures round?

Because I don't like circles. ;O

Why is there air??

The gas particles in the early universe that the gravity and magnetic field of earth were capable of holding in became earths atmoshpere.

Duh. :eek:ldman:

You want a round picture? here you go. Although technically it's still rectangular... or round with a lotta vignette. This was done playing around with my digital camera when I first got it, the Ricoh GXR with the original unit that made it into a nothing special p&s. Once they finally came out with the unit that takes Leica mount lenses there was no going back to this. And why I was playing with zooming the lens all the way I can't possibly remember or explain, but this was the crappy jpeg straight out of the camera.

View attachment 82147

For practical purposes, I think for a focusing ring to turn smoothly you'd need a rounded lens.

It might conceivably be possible to have round frames on roll film but I don't know that it would work too well - you'd have to somehow have individual round frames attached in a way to advance thru a camera (and a camera that could advance it). And even once there 'non curling' film was manufactured it still has some curl to it so it would probably keep catching on sprockets when you'd try to advance it. So for it to be in a roll it's made in strips, and a strip of rectangular frames is what works.

I suppose it could be possible to make a round sensor but probably not practical to have round pictures. Media seems to use square or rectangular formats, we read left to right and top to bottom and being able to store books on a shelf makes round impractical for print media. (I mean, there are kiddie books that are round or different shapes but I don't know if otherwise round would be practical). Even digitally for text and photos to fit into a readable format round probably would be harder to view and read rows of text.

But I cut a circle in a piece of paper and put it in front of my camera lens and the photo still came out rectangular ??? :lmao:

It must be witchcraft ...

Most reactions

Back