Why aren't pictures round?

This conversation is beyond dumb.

It's not really about the preferred shape of the final image, i was just wondering why we waste so much glass when taking an image on a rectangular sensor. It can't be helped out of necessity really, as a lot of folks have explained it. I personally am actually curious why we use straight lines to portray reality in?
To make square lenses first one has to make the round. Technologically it is cheaper and anyway, suckers like photographers will pay for it. :D If you worry about lost material think why in North America electricity is 110V and not like in Europe 220V. There was ONE reason only, which is greed.
Why we use straight lines ? Light travels in straight lines so is only natural for our perception. What do you mean by "outside" perspective ? There is only one perspective, your point of view perspective, you change your point of view, you change your perspective. Only cubism can reconcile many perspectives. Try to compose your pictures like this guy (which is not bad idea, I like it :D):
3 days in Havana

What i mean by an "outsiders perception" is of course: not like my casual point of view. I'm of course not so arrogant to presumre to speak for anyone but myself.

What i mean by an "outsiders perception" is of course: not like my casual point of view. I'm of course not so arrogant to presumre to speak for anyone but myself.
That's the good thing about us. That's why photography other, than portraits, is so interesting. If you photograph a perspective from your point of view, now I can see, what you see. (Or at least have a fighting chance to do so.) I am the outsider perception (and everybody else on this planet off course). But if you can experience outsider perception at the same time, when evaluating own, that will put you on higher level, than I can be. Some people have that, then the planes of understanding change and I can only chase the ideas. Which is fun to. :D

Well if you want to go down to a quantum level it doesn't. It travels in waves. And if you want to look at it on an astronomical level it bends around large gravitation sources like galaxies ;)

You should check out this little video, it is informative:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you want to go down to a quantum level it doesn't. It travels in waves. And if you want to look at it on an astronomical level it bends around large gravitation sources like galaxies ;)

Nevermind Timor and his obnoxious Newtonian tendencies!

You should check out this little video, it is informative:
Thanks, I've seen it some time ago. My son watches TED a lot. :D The most interesting thing is how they created this camera, not as much what it can do. And then, without a black hole somewhere close by light still doesn't want to bend. :D

Most reactions

Back