Why aren't pictures round?

We would have to "think outside the ellipse.

.... And if you want to look at it on an astronomical level it bends around large gravitation sources like galaxies ;)

Well, technically, it bends due to ALL gravitational sources. Not just large ones. Light being affected by the Sun's gravity was observed decades ago.

You should check out this little video, it is informative:

So the real question is, when is Nikon going to introduce a camera with a Frames Per Second of a trillion frames per second in an affordable hand held camera sold at BestBuy for anyone to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, why not. But it's going to be an editing nightmare. :mrgreen:

I'm not complaining. I'll talk about light all day!

This is like... the coolest thing I've ever seen. Just so you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the real question is, when is Nikon going to introduce a camera with a Frames Per Second of a trillion frames per second in an affordable hand held camera sold at BestBuy for anyone to buy.

Isn't this what inspired The Butterfly Effect? I mean, why else would you cast Ashton Kutcher for that roll?

Oh look. A hamlet thread that makes me want to kill myself. Shocking.

Oh look. A hamlet thread that makes me want to kill myself. Shocking.

Well I was going to make a "why are wheels round" thread but I didn't want to steal his thunder.

Ah you two are unthinking philistines :)D ).

Questioning known "truths" gave us newtonian physics, copernican astronomy, ensteinian physics, darwinian biology, and a bunch more things. Of course, there's also a line separating genius and lunacy, which often isn't obvious until much later. So there should be, at least in my opinion, some tolerance for asking of "stupid" questions. In the hands of the right questioner, it turns a "stupid question" into a beacon of new discovery. And we do need those.

Darwin... Einstein... Newton....

...hamlet.

For practical purposes, I think for a focusing ring to turn smoothly you'd need a rounded lens.

It might conceivably be possible to have round frames on roll film but I don't know that it would work too well - you'd have to somehow have individual round frames attached in a way to advance thru a camera (and a camera that could advance it). And even once there 'non curling' film was manufactured it still has some curl to it so it would probably keep catching on sprockets when you'd try to advance it. So for it to be in a roll it's made in strips, and a strip of rectangular frames is what works.

I suppose it could be possible to make a round sensor but probably not practical to have round pictures. Media seems to use square or rectangular formats, we read left to right and top to bottom and being able to store books on a shelf makes round impractical for print media. (I mean, there are kiddie books that are round or different shapes but I don't know if otherwise round would be practical). Even digitally for text and photos to fit into a readable format round probably would be harder to view and read rows of text.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back