Why ask for CC?

Mrsforeman1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Constructive (corrective) Criticism/Critque is a great thing. Why ask for it, if you don't want it? There should be a "suck it up" rule.

well, theres CC and then theres being down right rude and obnoxious. basically if you say why dont like it, what could of been done differently and give good reasoning its useful and good. if you just say "it sucks i hate it" and walk away then it is just a pointless obnoxious comment.

if you post anyhting on the internet you have to be willing to take aTON of abuse, CC or not. PERIOD. If not, don't post, just browse.

Different strokes for different folks. It’s like the old saying, don’t ask if you don’t want to know the answer…or…ask me no questions and I’ll tell you no lies. Jack Nicholson said it best in the film “A Few Good Men”, you can’t handle the truth.

Until your skills are developed, you should expect the rough patches.

(I put in a nice word for you Mrsforeman1 somewhere tonight, can’t remember the thread……….just in case you were George’s missus)

Agreed...and, it doesn't help to get all hurt and make excuses for the same issues that you wanted the critique to correct. That's why I said "suck it up". And when you post on the Professional Board people are to assume that you're professional and may critique you as such.

well when I say C&C, I mean CONSTRUCTIVE. If you don't say it nicely...then you shouldn't be posting...
There's no reason, even if it's horrible, to say anything mean about a picture. Suggest improvements....or give an honest opinion gently...don't say "wow...worst picture I've ever seen...what were you thinking?"
and then just leave.

^^agreed (Mrsforeman1). I think a lot of embarrasment and embelishment could be avoided if newbies bothered to review the guidelines for the different forums.

well when I say C&C, I mean CONSTRUCTIVE. If you don't say it nicely...then you shouldn't be posting...
There's no reason, even if it's horrible, to say anything mean about a picture. Suggest improvements....or give an honest opinion gently...don't say "wow...worst picture I've ever seen...what were you thinking?"
and then just leave.

once again, it's the internet, you don't even have to have a reason to say soemthnig negstive about a photo. Even if you like ti and you're jealous, you can tear it to shreds, if it's the internet, and you put out any information onto it, you should be able to hanlde the worst case scenario. If you post a picture, you have to be able to take abuse of that picture, at the cost of wanting praise.

I don't condone tearing people up unless you feel that it's honest, but still, people need to be touch on the web.

I have yet to post a picture on here, but when I do - I want MaxBloom-esq critique on it.

If I thought the picture was crap, I wouldn't have posted it. Since I think it's a good picture, I'm posting it to either (1) show it off, or (2) find out how I can make it better. I can't find out how to make it better if nobody tells me whats wrong with it.

I don't really expect people to tell me how to make it better (but it's a plus if they do), I think they expect me to know how to fix it - I just need to know what to fix.

If you don't know how to fix it after people tell you what needs fixing, do some research on it, search the forums here, or start a new thread if you can't find out what you want to know.

For example, if someone says that a picture is too soft, they probably expect the poster to know what that means without having to explain what "soft" and "sharp" mean.

Not everyone can handle direct or bold critique easily.

And what some call honest, others consider rude.

I however think, whenever someone gives a reason why he does not like somone's work, then this is valuable input. Some people do not see this though.

within the last 12 hours on this forum, I once again learned that i should not comment or give C6C in the pro-portrait section of this forum, or the website section. honesty often seems not appreciatred there ;)

I don't really expect people to tell me how to make it better (but it's a plus if they do), I think they expect me to know how to fix it - I just need to know what to fix.

I think if you ask for help, it will certainly be given on this forum though! :)

Also if you do not know the terms, someone will explain them to you ... ok, some may grunt while doing so ;)

I think this is a very helpful and friendly forum, and if some people weren't so self-centred and over-sensitive when it comes to critizism regarding their own work, then they could learn much more on here ;) ... I say when posting images one should be humble and expect the worst, and be happy if yor receive the best.

There is also an element of misinturpritation (primarily with uber noobs and/or stupids) thinking that CC translates to something like Comments and Criticism and done almost as a manner of "just say what ever I Just wan't to know you looked" not realizing what a true critqueis. they then feel slapped in the face when they get honest standpoints. That is why I am a firm believer in people should read a lot of a forum before posting anything, thet would take care of that little misconception.

How ever in the more common field, Often times people expect a certain amount of respect or friendlyness and/or full of themselves and don't believe they are flawed. When they realize just what they got into start calling everything rude.

[...] I think this is a very helpful and friendly forum [...]
I agree 100% on that. I'm a member at a handful of photography forums, and this is by far the best. This forum has more knowledgeable photographers, who are more than happy to give advise than any of the others I am a member at.

Most reactions

Back