Why buy a Mac?

And just in case no-one has mentioned them (because I can't be bothered to wade through this thread) the two best arguments for having a Mac are:

This little baby -
http://www.lemkesoft.com/
Will convert virtually any picture type to any other - it will even handle Atari and Amiga graphics. I know of nothing like this for PC.

And then there is subscribe and publish.
Want to open a QuarkXpress file in Office?
Use the 'publish' menu in Quark and then 'subscribe' to the file in Office.
Simple.
And it's been implemented in most Mac programs for years.

my brother typed something on the mac version of microsoft office word yesterday and tried to open it on his PC laptop and said that it wouldnt open because the mac saved it as a .doc file wich apparently the pc version wont open... is there a way around that, or is that another issue with macs?

hehehehe... another reason for MAC

World of Warcraft for Mac has video capture built right in.

My main workstation and all of the documents were done in Office for Mac. The entire corporation is full of Windows users. This includes all sorts of word, excel, and powerpoint. No problems at all.

Try saving as an *.rtf like most non-office people do and trying opening it again.

my brother typed something on the mac version of microsoft office word yesterday and tried to open it on his PC laptop and said that it wouldnt open because the mac saved it as a .doc file wich apparently the pc version wont open... is there a way around that, or is that another issue with macs?

Actually that happened to me When I first got my Mac and was sending a lot of files back and forth to my PC. It turned out that my pc's version of windows was older than my MAcs and the .doc files has gone through some changes.
I think there is like a .doc97 .doc2002 , something like that. So I had to download a patch for my pc's version of windows. it works fine now.

If you scroll below you can see how many version of .doc there is.

By domromer

hm, i'll let him know about that, I wasnt there with him. He's in high school, i'm at college, but he just came online last night saying "i hate macs!" and i'm thinking... well thats a funny coincidence, haha, but yeah, he explained that to me and my first thought was to download some sort of converter patch or something but he said he couldnt find one. He acted like it wasnt a big deal though so i'm guessing either its not due very soon or he didnt have a lot to retype

Every new version of Word has saved to a different format from previous versions. There have always been compatibility problems between versions even on the same platform.
You do have a choice of 'Save As' types and something like Rich Text format or just Text will solve things as a last ditch.
I seem to remember downloading compatibility patches from Microsoft. They may still do such things (extends the 'Save As' range). Or you might get a third party one.

I know of nothing like this for PC.
They exist.
And then there is subscribe and publish.
Want to open a QuarkXpress file in Office?
Use the 'publish' menu in Quark and then 'subscribe' to the file in Office.
Sounds like "Open With>Use The Following Program To Open all X Files" which assigns a file type to open in a different program that it is compatible with.
Every new version of Word has saved to a different format from previous versions.
I'm pretty sure thats not true for recent versions of Windows and the doc file format. For a few the issue has been going from new to old - but its not impossible.

LOL, that means I bought my first Windows Laptop when you were 6 - in 1994.

I was in computers way before he was born.. lol.. wait, thats not too funny, but it is true.

People from "my generation" call MACs computers with training wheels. They have always been overpriced and the software was never even close to being competitive except in the graphics area.

Nowadays, they are basically no faster, no better than Intel based computers, but they are on average 20% more expensive, and their screens are on average 50% more expensive for no increase in resolution or quality.

People who think that there are no such things as viruses for MACs need to come spend a day with me dealing with these bug-infested computers. I make good money cleaning them for the few of my clients that use them (I even get to charge them more for dealing with MACs than intel based units!)

Vista? IMHO that is Microsoft's greatest failure ever. XP rules, all else drools... lol.

Neither would I, but the Macbook is particularly bad in this respect. Some laptop displays are usable for some image editing purposes, thank goodness. One of the advantages of Windows-based laptops is that you have a much wider choice of screens.

Best,
Helen

I agree. A nice 20" widescreen helps a lot...and an external mouse as well. Doing editing on a touchpad is hell.

That's one of the reasons I never understood why art schools sometimes require you to have a Mac laptop. What the hell am I gonna do with a laptop unless I go home and attach my monitor and mouse? So...why not just say an iMac? lol...I dono...just a thing I have...

Speaking of the price of Macs, I thnk people forget to figure in supply and demand. Macs make up 8% of all desktop sales and 17% of laptops. Would it not make sense for a product with such a small market share to be more expensive than say a dell?

You can do a google search to find the latest figures.

Sounds like "Open With>Use The Following Program To Open all X Files" which assigns a file type to open in a different program that it is compatible with.

Then it's a recent MS innovation. Macs have been able to do it for 15 years or so.
One more example of PC's trying to copy Macs ;)

BTW Did you know that Bill Gates programmed the first Apple OS that utilised the concept of the Desktop?
And it was Apple Corp that invented the mouse?
Makes you think.

"And it was Apple Corp that invented the mouse?
Makes you think."

Makes me wonder why it took them so long to comprehend mouse buttons.

They had many innovations that focused on simplicity.... most of their products have user interfaces that are specifically designed in such a manner. Out of tens of products, they made an incorrect assessment and made the mouse TOO SIMPLE..... i think I can forgive Apple..

How many products incorrect assessments has Microsoft made and continue to make throughout history?

Makes me wonder why it is taking Microsoft so long to make a solid O/S?

Speaking of the price of Macs, I thnk people forget to figure in supply and demand. Macs make up 8% of all desktop sales and 17% of laptops. Would it not make sense for a product with such a small market share to be more expensive than say a dell?

You can do a google search to find the latest figures.

General Motors is the largest manufacturer of cars and Toyota is second. Each making between 8-9 million vehicles. BMW delivered 1.3 million. Typical BMW is more expensive than a typical GM or Toy.

Most reactions

Back