Why Buy A Prime Lens?

It's generally best to approach things from the point of what your use will be and then research the lenses that people typically use for those subjects. There will generally be a patten to what people use and justification for those reasons.

Approaching things the other way is somewhat self defeating since a lens of any focal length can be used for anything provided it fits with the photographers creative vision and ideas. (eg I've used my 18-55mm at 18mm to take a photo of a wild bird before - but conventional wisdom says use a 400 or 500mm - thyey are of course right and hte 18mm is a rare occasion but it shows the point).

For macro let me first ask what sort of macro are you looking to make - specifically are you interested in insects.

WOW! Thank you very much, these are by far the most helpful responses I have gotten on any of my threads.

Alright, So imagine that I may use these lenses to photograph architecture, landscapes, macro, and possibly some portraits, what focal lengths would you recommend?

MACRO is a different ballgame. Not all lenses can shoot macro because it requires close focusing distances (and lighting). It is specialized.

For architecture, landscapes = I find 24mm-ish focal length a good start. Its not too wide that you start see a lot of distortion yet a good focal length for that type of photography. Incidentally, 24, 28, and 35mm are well liked for street photographers and journalists... they are what I like to call "story telling" focal lengths... meaning you are not just bringing focus to a single subject but sometimes using these focal lengths to show them doing something or interacting with their environment. You are expanding the representation of space which adds to the "story".

For portraits, you will want a mild telephoto... on a crop 50-85 is a good start. You'll want to examine the way a lens renders bokeh. These mild telephotos to me are more "subject" focal lengths. You are isolating a particular subject and compressing "space" which tends to present portraits very nicely.

This doesn't mean that these are rules that cannot be broken. Its kinda like a painters brush.... its how you paint.. er.. shoot. There are definitely some good portraits shot with wider angle focal lengths too and vice versa.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is no one focal length to recommend.. its a personal choice.

Alright, So how does one then narrow down that fine line between 24,28,35?

The macro that I would do most likely would involve all types of nature: Plants, insects, animals perhaps. Would something like a 90mm 2.8 be more acceptable for macro?

I was looking through a book at the store that had an entire chapter devoted to 50mm f1.8 lenses. Especially after reading that chapter, I intend on buying a 50mm 1.8 very soon.

Alright, So how does one then narrow down that fine line between 24,28,35?

Again.. no way to recommend because it is a very personal preference. Here's something you can do... Your kit zoom covers all those focal lengths. Tape your zoom at 24mm and shoot a bit. Do the same at 28mm and 35mm. Which of the three are most comfortable to YOU?

Your looking for an easy answer.. there isn't one.

As for macro, my favorite lens is a Tamron 90mm f/2.5 adaptall. So yes.. 90mm might be good enough. Tamron has a newer version of this lens in various mounts with AF and 1:1. Some other shooters might prefer the 180mm macro because of the longer working distance. This is especially true if you are intending to shoot bugs.

Oh btw... for macro, lighting is often just as (or more) important than the glass itself. Just something to think about.

Everyone has basically said the advantages of prime. I talked to alot of professional photographers and they made it clear to me that good lens = $$$, like the L series lens. And that a kit lens will never be half decent. Well.. I bought a XT body and a 50mm 1.8. Guess what? I learned a lot. The 50mm 1.8, even though 100 bucks was actually a half decent lens. It taught me a lot, and I learned a lot. It helped me understand aperture. 1.8 is a pretty fast lens, and that helped me understand the affects of open aperture, and closed aperture. It's one thing to read about it, it's another to do it and experience it.

Anywho, I sold the 50mm 1.8 and got zoom lenses. What do you know? 2 years down the road and I have a 50mm 1.4 But to be honest, I'm thinking about selling the 50mm 1.4 as well. It's just not ideal for what I shoot, due to my rebel XTs 1.6 crop factor. Sure, I've grown out of th camera, and feel like the Xt holds me back, but I can always work around things and just try to do my best. I'm concidering either a 24mm or the 24-70mm 2.8L, hence why the sell. Definitely get a 50mm 1.8 if thats what u can afford. Fun lens. Gets u some exercising.

I use prime lenses because I get the same image quality as some of those $2000+ zoom Nikkors. The only thing you're paying for with those lenses is the convenience of zoom. My 50 f/1.8 will smoke those things in any optical performance comparison.

Film photographers will often tell you they keep a 50mm lens, and use it as their 'walkaround' lens, and if they want to frame things differently ('zoom' in or out) they just take a step in or out. Personally I have been capturing more 'in the moment' photos ever since I got my prime lenses.. because instead of wasting time thinking about bokeh / how the background will look and feature exaggeration (Do I take a step back and zoom in!? or do I take a step in and zoom out!? AHHH), I just frame and shoot. In real life, the less things you have to 'set' (ie focus points, exposure settings, etc) the better. Zoom is just one of those things for me.

With digital's 1.6x cropping, I find a 28mm would be a better walkaround lens for us, as it ends up being nearly 50mm after crop anyway. Unfortunately they only go as fast as f/2.8 :(

isn't there a 30mm prime that has a fast aperture (f1.4 or something like that?) I'm sure there is a fast 30mm or 35mm on the market.

isn't there a 30mm prime that has a fast aperture (f1.4 or something like that?) I'm sure there is a fast 30mm or 35mm on the market.

Sigma 30 1.4. It's a great lens, only downfall is it's crop body only.

Whoa! I've never even heard of this lens! I never knew there were primes between 28 and 35! Time to go shopping... Anyone looking to buy a 28mm f/2.8??? :mrgreen:

Sigma 30 1.4. It's a great lens, only downfall is it's crop body only.

Whoa! I've never even heard of this lens! I never knew there were primes between 28 and 35! Time to go shopping... Anyone looking to buy a 28mm f/2.8??? :mrgreen:

Are you serious? If you are really considering selling it, I may be interested. What model is it, how old, condition, etc?

Primes are predictable and dependable...

Not anymore than zooms you use on a regular basis and have taken the time to know.

I don't like zooms which are a waste of money imho but this statement is total BS. Zooms will be as predictable as primes if you take the time to get to know them. Dependable is another story since zooms have a bit more technology involved but, overall, they are as dependable.

Yes, zooms are a waste of money. Just take a few steps forwards or backwards and you have a poor man's zoom. Not only that but, as you take those few steps, you may actually see/notice something you wouldn't have with a zoom.

Zooms are the lazy photogs way. One lens on one body and we're ready to go. That is extremely funny since the digital age tends to make a lot of photogs carry more than one body just in case... one of them fails.

Back in the film days we were not so worried about bodies failing. We carried more than one, with different lenses, because that was our way to zoom when speedy changes were needed.

I've said it a number of times but I don't get the nifty fifty thing at all. A 50mm is the most boring lens for a 35mm camera. Or a full frame. It is not a bad lens on a crop body but that's it.

If they are so great, why are they so cheap on the resale market?

Primes are predictable and dependable...

Not anymore than zooms you use on a regular basis and have taken the time to know.

I don't like zooms which are a waste of money imho but this statement is total BS. Zooms will be as predictable as primes if you take the time to get to know them. Dependable is another story since zooms have a bit more technology involved but, overall, they are as dependable.

Yes, zooms are a waste of money. Just take a few steps forwards or backwards and you have a poor man's zoom. Not only that but, as you take those few steps, you may actually see/notice something you wouldn't have with a zoom.

Zooms are the lazy photogs way. One lens on one body and we're ready to go. That is extremely funny since the digital age tends to make a lot of photogs carry more than one body just in case... one of them fails.

Back in the film days we were not so worried about bodies failing. We carried more than one, with different lenses, because that was our way to zoom when speedy changes were needed.

I've said it a number of times but I don't get the nifty fifty thing at all. A 50mm is the most boring lens for a 35mm camera. Or a full frame. It is not a bad lens on a crop body but that's it.

If they are so great, why are they so cheap on the resale market?

Amusing effort at stirring the pot without contributing much of anything c.cloudy. Crack open another bottle,okay?

Well, we are all entitled to our own opinions. Surely zooms are useful sometimes, but primes also have their advantages.

The 50mm will be on order very soon.

Thanks to everyone for the valuable information... I was in the same boat as the person who started this thread... You guys have enlightened me. Thank you all!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back