Why can't Nikon produce large aperture lenses

KennyW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wonder if there is any technical issues that Nikon cannot produce lenses like 35/f1.4G, 50/1.2G and 85/1.2G, while the Canon counter parts are 35L, 50L and 85L respectively?

Nikon cannot seem to find a single lens designer who understands how to make lens diaphragms with such large holes in them, probably due to the brain drain that saw all the world's best optical designers move to Canon's photocopier division, in order to get in on the really good pay and healthcare benefits that the Canon photocopier division offers its employees.

Canon's lens designers get free coffee and tea, along with a short break every day, and of course they stay in great physical health due to the presence of those cool ceiling-mounted surveillance monitors with the neat warning sirens that electronically track the walking speed of Canon employees, and loudly chastize them if they do not walk briskly throughout the Canon workplace.

Nikon cannot seem to find a single lens designer who understands how to make lens diaphragms with such large holes in them, probably due to the brain drain that saw all the world's best optical designers move to Canon's photocopier division, in order to get in on the really good pay and healthcare benefits that the Canon photocopier division offers its employees.

Canon's lens designers get free coffee and tea, along with a short break every day, and of course they stay in great physical health due to the presence of those cool ceiling-mounted surveillance monitors with the neat warning sirens that electronically track the walking speed of Canon employees, and loudly chastize them if they do not walk briskly throughout the Canon workplace.

LoL.....

they make a manual focus 50mm f1.2

Derrel....

Things like that (well maybe not that extreme) are common in the workforce of Japanese corporations. Its actually pretty interesting to see the huge divide between more "westernized" corporations versus very traditional. This was many moons ago (so I'm sure it has changed.. i think) but I once visited a pretty moderate Japanese corporation in which the desks were situated much like a classroom with the manager of the group positioned just like you would expect a teacher. One desk in the back was facing the wall... you can probably guess what that desk was used for. Many of us would probably see that as an insulting thing to do to an employee.... and this was what was described to me as a moderately conservative run japanese corporation. I was part of a whole group was traveling with a high ranking person in the company... we had to go through this whole round about way of initiating meetings and initial introductions simply because the highest ranking person that was to discuss business partnerships was a woman.

(side note.. at that time, the company I worked for required Japanese business culture training prior to representing business interests with Japan based companies)

In another software company, there was what was called a "silent" room. If you fell behind in deadlines, you were placed in that room and practically "locked in there". The manager would come by every so often to see if you needed a bathroom break or stop for lunch. Even coworkers could only contact you via email and they could literally be just on the other side of the wall.

In another very well known company, you had to wear cordless headsets so that people can contact you anywhere anytime during the business day. Heck... even answer while on the toilet... Wait.. sorry.. I'm confused... that was a company I worked for right here in the US.

Given the state of the economy in Japan... I think many of those employees probably wouldn't complain too much about what the article described... probably some get paid relatively well. In some ways, they are better treated than Chinese employees (such as Foxconn, which recently had a few suicides).

I'm not saying I agree with such practices but I hate to see such harsh judgement on the Japanese culture. There is much to learn and interesting things to see. Us westerners simply tend to be too judgmental for things in their culture that can seem bizarre to us outsiders. This is especially when the link/reference was inserted in such a way that provided very little input to the original topic of this thread.

I personally find it interesting and would mind to visit (for fun) some day.

I'm sure there is loads of stuff other people of other cultures can poke fun of in our very own culture and way of doing things.

Last edited:
I'm serious though....Nikon can't seem to find lens designers who know how to design those big f/1.2 holes....it's a tragedy! Those big-hole-savvy guys are all over designing lenses for photocopiers, where uber-speed lenses are the norm.

I'm serious though....Nikon can't seem to find lens designers who know how to design those big f/1.2 holes....it's a tragedy! Those big-hole-savvy guys are all over designing lenses for photocopiers, where uber-speed lenses are the norm.

Also.. one has to wonder just how much Canon has made off of those ultra fast lenses. They kind of remind me of those ultra expensive supercars that pop up once in a while from a regular brand. Its more of a corporate level pissing contest rather than a product driven by the bottom line. Maybe Nikon realizes this and just doesn't want to play that game...

For the most part, they are not really general use lenses ... and often (sharpness etc...) are surpassed by the f/1.4 (or smaller) "regular" lenses. The old 50mm f/1 Canon comes to mind.

Bah you're all linking to the wrong lens.

The Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 is THE lens. Not only is it f/1.2 but it's about the sharpest f/1.2 lens that exists on an SLR body. The decisions against designing a lens are economy driven. It's not that they can't design one. They simply don't. Stupid management decisions chasing the entry level users. Nikon's has neglected it's entire pro lineup of lenses for absolute years. It's only been the past year or so where they've started revving up some of the nicer lenses. On top of that they've been ignoring their fixed focal lineup quite well.

I mean **** we only just got a 50mm which will autofocus on an entry level body, whereas simple observation of Canon habits would show that those getting into photography on the cheap will buy a cheap body, kit lens, and then a 50mm as their first upgrade.

It's not just lenses either. We only recently finally get a full frame camera. My guess is f/1.2 will make a comeback after every other camera body has high def video, and every lens has bloody VR, because god knows they sell much more of that stuff than exotic lenses.

The Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 is THE lens. Not only is it f/1.2 but it's about the sharpest f/1.2 lens that exists on an SLR body. The decisions against designing a lens are economy driven. It's not that they can't design one. They simply don't. Stupid management decisions chasing the entry level users. Nikon's has neglected it's entire pro lineup of lenses for absolute years. It's only been the past year or so where they've started revving up some of the nicer lenses. On top of that they've been ignoring their fixed focal lineup quite well.

I mean **** we only just got a 50mm which will autofocus on an entry level body, whereas simple observation of Canon habits would show that those getting into photography on the cheap will buy a cheap body, kit lens, and then a 50mm as their first upgrade.

It's not just lenses either. We only recently finally get a full frame camera. My guess is f/1.2 will make a comeback after every other camera body has high def video, and every lens has bloody VR, because god knows they sell much more of that stuff than exotic lenses.

With high ISOs, who needs them?

Also, Nikon's smaller mount does impose some restrictions. That was one of the reasons Canon decided to scrap the FD mount.

I can't imagine standing all day.

Huh?

He is referring to the link regarding Canon employees that Derrel linked.

btw.. there are many jobs that have you on your feet almost the entire day: Nurses, Construction.etc..

Oh. Now I see. I did read that.

I would never work for a Japanese company. Their worker-bee mentality gives me the creeps. I interviewed once for an agency who sent contractors to Honda. They said I would have to wear a uniform (as a technical writer?). I told them to remove my name from consideration.

With high ISOs, who needs them?

Also, Nikon's smaller mount does impose some restrictions. That was one of the reasons Canon decided to scrap the FD mount.

That means you can shoot in even darker conditions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back