Why do i loath family portraits....

gottothinkpositive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im not sure if this is the place to post, but i got to ask.

Is it bad that i cant stand family photo sessions? I just did a few recently and got booked for another two coming up and i totally dread it. I feel bad that i do! I dont like the kids that make it difficult especially boys...then the parents dont look that good cause they are worried about their bratty kids. I dont seem to have the patience for it...my last two were a mess and im just not into it. Is that bad, should i suck it up to get more known out there, but if i do then there will be more family shoots. :er: My husband said to just get what i get to save money for more gear if i ever need it.
I really want to change my bad attitude about it. I did change it during the shoots of course but by the end im like dang, give me a cigarette.

Can anyone relate and do most people just specialize in certain areas of portraits?

No there is nothing wrong with you.

I will actually refuse to take photos of children under about the age of 5. I generally dislike the brats and refuse to give the family subpar photos.

You have to be a certain kind of person to like people at a level where even their kids don't bug you. It's not for everyone. I suspect anyone can get over it with effort , but the question is if it's worth the effort. Me, personally? I won't do those kinds of shoots except when asked by friends.

I only shoot kids when they are playing with each other, with their pets, or with toys. I have also done extensive shooting in Junior Kindergarten classes for use in national newspapers, but I never do family portraits. ;)

skieur

Im not sure if this is the place to post, but i got to ask.

Is it bad that i cant stand family photo sessions? I just did a few recently and got booked for another two coming up and i totally dread it. I feel bad that i do! I dont like the kids that make it difficult especially boys...then the parents dont look that good cause they are worried about their bratty kids. I dont seem to have the patience for it...my last two were a mess and im just not into it. Is that bad, should i suck it up to get more known out there, but if i do then there will be more family shoots. :er: My husband said to just get what i get to save money for more gear if i ever need it.
I really want to change my bad attitude about it. I did change it during the shoots of course but by the end im like dang, give me a cigarette.

Can anyone relate and do most people just specialize in certain areas of portraits?

Bwahahahaha.

Half the time I can't stand my own kids. Whenever I attempt to do sessions with my kids, I end up pumping them full of mini m&ms to get them to cooperate. Mother of the year right here!

I'm kidding... Kinda... :p

If you hate shooting families don't be a family photographer. Be a something else photographer and shoot what you actually enjoy. Nobody wants to go to a photographer who is dreading their shoot and is going to become frustrated with children. Some photographers are great with kids, some aren't. You can't be every kind of photographer out there, so be the one you like being.

You have to be a certain kind of person to like people at a level where even their kids don't bug you. It's not for everyone. I suspect anyone can get over it with effort , but the question is if it's worth the effort. Me, personally? I won't do those kinds of shoots except when asked by friends.

Yea man these kids were 9 and 12! Not a fan of kids actually only ones that aren't difficult haha. How do you gracefully tell people no?

Yea man these kids were 9 and 12! Not a fan of kids actually only ones that aren't difficult haha. How do you gracefully tell people no?

It is easy. I would just say you don't shoot family portraits. That's what I do.

From what I've gather in my searching so far, your position seems far more commonplace than photographers that love taking family portraits. I have done a few families and I am really enjoying it so far. I do, however, find myself disappointed in the posed whole-family standard portraits that I've done so far since I feel very restricted in the creative aspects of DOF without leaving people OOF in the back.

You really do need to appreciate kids though and it certainly isn't for everybody. My favorites are shooting the kiddos once the parents let them run wild at the end of the session. I find the parents generally love those shots the most. The only other great Photog in my town refuses to shoot more than one kid. I hope to slide into that niche by not up-charging for multitple kids.

My fav thing also is shooting the kids playing afterwards unfortunately they aren't with the parents but...
I appreciate all the feeedback everyone!

Dear "got to" I wrote and then nearly posted a lengthy response, but then realized that you would not welcome it.

Your recent experience may be why some people specialize in certain types of photography.

There is an up side...when the kids are being brats all through the session, when the parents are presented with the shots you DID get with smiles and so on, they are amazed! They can't believe that their kid smiled at all during the shoot.

I don't mind these...the kids I can live with. I am working on getting the parents to calm down and let the kids go. It's actually the parents that are winding the kids up even more. If they left them to me we'd get somewhere better. I have started explaining to them that they should let me talk and handle the kids...unless the kids is so far gone (or scared of me) then i will get them in the end. In fact, the little girl who was most scared of me at the start of one shoot became one of my best subjects after 10 minutes...

But yes, to echo the others...if you hate it, don't do it. :)

Just grin a bear it, and add a PITA charge. :lol:

And keep in mind: at the end of the session, the O.L.B.s are going away. ;)

No there is nothing wrong with you.

I will actually refuse to take photos of children under about the age of 5. I generally dislike the brats and refuse to give the family subpar photos.

I'm a landscape photographer and do a little conceptal work, but I won't do either Weddings, or Kids. - Choice: - a stand of Quakies in the fall, just absorbing the first light in the morning .... or try to get a 3 yr old to sit still on a stool .... People photography is not for me, and the best part is that .... I know it. I'll do family, but won't take a commissioned job for anyone else. And - I'm having a ball !!

Most reactions

Back