Why do I only get the guys?

Sheesh. Just do it!

Women love cameras. If I am standing in a city where there are shopping areas, girls actually aproach me and ask me for a shoot.

Have portfolio with.

Rick, forget the ugly part, we are all ugly in one way or another. Play your stats. If you have a 1% chance of getting a model, you will have to ask 100 girls to get one.

Ugly is relative to who you are standing next to. Most girls don't see themsleves as beautiful and are just as insecure as you are. We as humans need reinforcement, constantly to feed a hungy ego. If you approach a pretty girl, as you shoot away, ask her if she'd mind you taking some pictures for your portfolio for which you will reward her with prints for her album. Make it a point to have conversation about your projects and that you are an aspiring photographer, as well as pour on the compliments. BUT! never stop shooting till she hits you. Be nice and refine your technique so you can relax yourself as well as your subject. If it all works out, you can ask her to sit for studio shots next time and maybe a date as well. The main point is be your pleasant self. People skills will eventually develope the more you do this.

It has been my experience that portraits and or fashion shoots take a lot of self confidence. I have photographed models and normal people. Normal people need a lot of direction. I would post bills at local colleges. Check the phone book for local modeling agencies. Personally I think asking random ladies if they want to work on a shoot is a little creepy.

In my photography I consider that there are no ugly people.

Paul Ron said:
If it all works out, you can ask her to sit for studio shots next time and maybe a date as well.
Do you really wanna do that? Don't do photography as a way to get a date... the pictures will suck and it's just not the way to do it.

If you wanna date, then ask her out. If you want a body to put in front of a lens, then do just that.

Or...

OMG, you're so beautiful. I wanna ask you out AND take pictures of you at the same time. What's your name? :er:

and in summary... ""The main point is be your pleasant self. People skills.... ""

Hey DocF... is that what I said? Did you read the entire message or is your mind in the gutter? Perhaps ramedial reading is what you should start with before you make out of context misquotes to suit you ignorance. Your fly is open!

I think as long as you approach people with a professional attitude you'll have no problems getting models. Women are so vain. :mrgreen: Asking a woman to model implies that you think she's attractive enough to be in your photos. We love that kind of flattery. Just find a girl who looks relaxed (not in a hurry) and ask her.

I also like the idea of having a few samples of your work on hand, just in case.

Paul Ron said:
and in summary... ""The main point is be your pleasant self. People skills.... ""

Hey DocF... is that what I said? Did you read the entire message or is your mind in the gutter? Perhaps ramedial reading is what you should start with before you make out of context misquotes to suit you ignorance. Your fly is open!
Oh jeez. Must you take everything seriously?

the post was mostly a joke...

Perhaps ramedial reading

Many levels of funny. He was joking.

Threadmaker, you need to get over it or change your style of photography. Your choice but if you like "people photography" then you are going to have to approach the other half of people :thumbup:

DocFrankenstein said:
Oh jeez. Must you take everything seriously?

the post was mostly a joke...

When you try to imply something about me, I take it very seriously. Especially if that's not what my reply was saying at all. Perhaps you were joking but at least show a bit of humor or be somewhat witty, to indirectly say someting out of context as representing what I said is not acceptable.

Paul Ron said:
When you try to imply something about me, I take it very seriously. Especially if that's not what my reply was saying at all. Perhaps you were joking but at least show a bit of humor or be somewhat witty, to indirectly say someting out of context as representing what I said is not acceptable.
It almost sounds like you'd try to hit me by now or something. :lol: Yeah, I know... I'm not worthy of it.

Dude - in canada we have a nice expression: Chillax. Chill and relax at the same time. Works wonders. :thumbup:

Make it a point to have conversation about your projects and that you are an aspiring photographer, as well as pour on the compliments. BUT! never stop shooting till she hits you. Be nice and refine your technique so you can relax yourself as well as your subject. If it all works out, you can ask her to sit for studio shots next time and maybe a date as well. The main point is be your pleasant self. People skills will eventually develope the more you do this.
I'm just trying to understand your advice... not criticizing you in any way or anything.

Could you elaborate on: "Never stop shooting till she hits you" please?

Also, you seem to be saying that one should ask the model out only "if it [the photography] works out"...

But it may be just my dirty interpretations. Who knows?

Do any of your male models have girlfriends, wives, daughters, sisters? If so, ask them to pass on the request to add to your portfolio, and I am certain one of them will consent. Especially with the holidays coming up, people will be looking for pictures to send out in letters.
That will help to eliminate the awkwardness if your friends came as well. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back