Why do my photos look different in IE?

ShutteredEye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.theshutteredeye.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Why do my photos look bloated and crosshatchy/low resolution in Internet Explorer? They look fine in Firefox, and in PS, and in image preview from the folder. But they look terrible in IE. I have considered pulling down several of them after I've posted them, until I viewed them in Firefox.

There is a marked difference between the two when compared side by side.

Is there some sort of setting I can adjust in IE??

Well I haven't used IE for months but you could check IE prefs to see if there is any resize settings enabled. If the photos are in a web page you should check the html to see if there is anything that defines the size of the photos and if not try adding it. Do you have a sample or anything I could look at to get a better idea of what's going wrong and maybe be a little more helpful?

Ohhh I haven't heard of that before. There were some differences between the brightness between IE and FF. I can't remember but I think FF was slightly darker... could be mistaken.

Post us a pic so we can have a look... it might jog someone's memory of the problem.

curious...I can't tell the difference. IE version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519. FF version 1.0.6. I run twin dell 19"crt's on a dual head graphics card in extended desktop configuration (can really spread out with PS and the like). On side by side monitors and on the same monitor there is no difference between browsers here. Not that this helps you at all except for maybe the browser versions.

Dave_D said:
curious...I can't tell the difference. IE version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519. FF version 1.0.6. I run twin dell 19"crt's on a dual head graphics card in extended desktop configuration (can really spread out with PS and the like). On side by side monitors and on the same monitor there is no difference between browsers here. Not that this helps you at all except for maybe the browser versions.

Ok. How does the resolution look? Is there chunking on her eyelashes?

Ok i think I see what's happening here. In both my version of IE and FF, there is this chunking you're talking about. Because both programs are resizing the photo to fit nicely in the window.
In FF if I click on the photo it makes it to it's original 100% size and there is no longer any 'chunking' or blocking on her eyelashes and instead they're nice and smooth.

In IE, I just hover my mouse over the picture and then a little box appears in the bottom right corner. I click on that and it becomes 100% and then the blocking disappears also.

Once I make them 100% they look fine. My guess is that you've turned off the setting in FF to make the photos 'fit' in the browser window. You'll find this setting in FF under Tools-> Options-> Advanced -> Browsing. Then it's called "Resize large images to fit in browser window" If you untick this, the pics will show at 100%.

In IE you can change this setting here: Tools-> Internet Options -> Advanced. Then scroll down towards the bottom and you'll see a heading for Multimedia. Under that Multimedia there's a tick box for "Enable Automatic Image Resizing". Untick that and images will be at 100%.

If you try that and see what happens, I reckon that'll fix your problems.

Are you absolutely sure they're different sizes - with both of the resizing settings turned off?

I thought they were different sizes too, but then I put both browsers onto full screen mode (F11) and got my ruler out and measured the screen and it turns out they are the same size. Maybe it's just an optical illusion to do with the button and status bar sizes in IE.

Ah Ha!!! Why I have no difference between the two is because my dual desktops are set at 1280 x 960. If I resize to smaller, I see what you are saying.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back