Why do people leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traveler, thanks for post #36...:lmao:

as for leaving a forum...dunno, I think I would leave if I got really bored or frustrated, but that hasn't happend to me on TPF. :wink:

pascal

I think a majority of people come on ask a quick quetion (Insert rote everyday question here) get there question answered and move on. They either buy that camera as a gift or get it fixed etc. etc...... I have recently done the same thing on a couple of forums ask a few questions and never post again.

I have left a forum that I had 7k+ posts in because the owner/admin got to be unreasonable in not allowing members to speak their mind and were inconsistent in enforcing rules (which were not written down anyway and were changed at will).

I have two forums that I am currently very active in and I intended to become more active in this one and learn more about the art, but I will probably only find time to lurk now. I have two kids 3 and under and I got THIS today, so, uh...I think I'm going to be a tad busy.

BTW, I don't need a critique on that one - I'm pretty please with the way it turned out. :lol:

Congratulations

september202007002bbbzs0.jpg

I kinda like it. I'm all about a forum that doesn't have dead periods with no posts but if there are too many people that is WHEN I leave. I can't stand having to keep up with 3 pages of new threads per section a day. It just gets so overwhelming and mind blowing, I just go. I think the TPF has had th eperfect balance the entire time I've been here and I love the people and I like to think I've already contributed a lot to this forum.

STELLA!!! I hope this is good news. Congratulations! SYKES3

I like to dig through these forums for tips and ideas related to photography. Maybe once in long while I'll post something. I'm not to interested in spending hours at the PC on chat rooms and forums.

This is a great site though. Everyone seems friendly and the advice given on questions and pictures seems constructive.

I hope this is good news.

Absolutely. Thanks. I think I'll be kicking what's left of my law practice to the curb as well. :lol:

[/thread hijack]

One final thought. The humor found on this forum is worth the price of admission.

This compliment would be worth a lot more if it cost anything to be a member.

That was my feeble attempt at humor.

I will likely employ irony, sarcasm or blew (sorry, that should have been "blue") humor. I'm quite a likable bloke, you just have to disregard or accept the edges. No 'arm meant.

The forums I've left I have normally left after a week or two. If I stay longer than that it's because the participants have something to offer me. One of my pet peeves are people who want to socialize on every topic imaginable except photography.

I've been around to many places and ended up at 2 photography forums, 1 is here (TPF) and the other is a single brand forum.

I left one forum because, the members are too busy flaming each other instead of improving each other; I'm right and you're wrong, my system is the best and yours sucks, etc.

Another forum because, the members are just chatting but don't have photography skill to share, they are nice but not what I'm looking for.

Another forum because, the senior members are making themselves as the exclusive members that only talk to another exclusive members, the rest are not worthy to get response from them.

Another forum because, the moderators & senior members always say "Hey NEWBIE, we have through this thread long time ago, find the similar thread in the search engine!"
Newbies are newbies, maybe they don't even know what is "search engine".

I don't see all of those reasons at TPF and for the #4, TPF is the best place, I know it's boring and tiring to explain the same thing over and over again, but the moderators & senior members in TPF do that! I've seen Big "heart" Mike sometimes write similar response to different OP. That means a lot to the OP.

Another forum because, the moderators & senior members always say "Hey NEWBIE, we have through this thread long time ago, find the similar thread in the search engine!"
Newbies are newbies, maybe they don't even know what is "search engine".

I know it's boring and tiring to explain the same thing over and over again, but the moderators & senior members in TPF do that!

The unfortunate consequence of answering every Newbie question as if it had never been asked before is that it wastes a great deal of energy and talent.

This same point has been made several times and each time, I suggest that the person who makes it actually do the work.

IMO, if a Newbie don't want to do a little work for him or herself, than he or she doesn't deserve membership. I don't think that asking a Newbie to find the <Search> button is a high price for admittance.

The unfortunate consequence of answering every Newbie question as if it had never been asked before is that it wastes a great deal of energy and talent.

This same point has been made several times and each time, I suggest that the person who makes it actually do the work.

IMO, if a Newbie don't want to do a little work for him or herself, than he or she doesn't deserve membership. I don't think that asking a Newbie to find the <Search> button is a high price for admittance.

One of the nice things about turnover is that the new people- once they have the drill down- get to pass on the collective knowledge of the site to the people who come after them and on ad infinitum. The old hands, being the nice people they are, are supposed to step back and let them (until they get it wrong of course). ;)

It occurs to me that everyone makes the assumption that some % of Newbies grow and stay with the Forum.

There is a little research study that we could do to test this.

Select a bunch of people at random who have more than 50 posts.
Look at their first few posts and see if one or more was a typical newbie question.

Then look at a bunch of people who have left after 5 or fewer posts and see if their posts were 'newbie' questions.

This would give some idea whether the effort put into answering newbie questions actually is good for the Forum or is just thrown away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back