Why do some posts get more comments?

Kerbouchard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, why do some posts get tons of comments and some get very few? Clicking on the New Posts, will quickly reveal threads that have had 50+ views and no comments and other threads that have had 0 views and 2+ comments.

I guess we all like to see our work commented on, so just wondering on the disparity...

What leads you to comment or not.

Looking at trends, it seems like there are a lot more comments on images that are a bit, well, more flawed, than images that are good. Is it because people feel better offering encouragement or critques on images that they think they could have done better? Maybe it is as simple as that. Maybe some don't feel 'qualified' to offer critiques to better photos so they go by without comments?

Obviously, the time of day an image is posted, the type of image, the poster's history, etc will all have an impact on what kind of reception they get here...

For me, I generally don't comment on threads that have already had a lot of posts since most of what I would have had to say has already been said, and I generally try to provide some feedback to those that have had a lot of views but few, if any comments.

Just wondering what goes through your guys minds when you decide to hit that back button instead of leaving a response.

Sometimes I come back to a thread more than once, I like to see what others have to say about it, reading the feedback helps me grown as a photographer even if the cc is on an image that is not mine. I do need to work on posting in every thread I open, even if it is a simple "great job", people like to know that their thread was opened.

because many of us r beginners and are asking the same questions. Or just reading to learn.

Sometimes I come back to a thread more than once, I like to see what others have to say about it, reading the feedback helps me grown as a photographer even if the cc is on an image that is not mine. I do need to work on posting in every thread I open, even if it is a simple "great job", people like to know that their thread was opened.
I agree quite a bit but I also disagree. "Great job" is not helping the person when most of the time it's not a great job.

Sadly I'm one of those who does not feel comfortable commenting. I'm getting a little better at seeing things though. It's already happened a couple of times today. I try to look at a photo and decide what I think the C&C is going to be. A few replies down I will see that the more experienced photographer had the same thoughts. It's nice to know mistakes are starting to be revealed but I still think it will be awhile before I feel comfortable expressing them.

^^True. I would rather have constructive criticism of my work than to be told I was doing great and continue repeating my mistakes.

I just started posting on the forum and I find the posts with massive amounts of comments to be overwhelming. I want to read most of what's said and I just don't have time to go through 20+ pages of comments. :p

I agree. I usually just skim over the debates because most of it is repeated, useless arguing. I guess that's why I've enjoyed the topic "Rate the photo above you" but I have in no way agreed with many of the critiques given. Some people do not know what they are doing so they are giving advice that makes no sense at all. I know many of us would like to butt in on some of the C&C's made but we don't want to interrupt the game.

Just wondering what goes through your guys minds when you decide to hit that back button instead of leaving a response.

Things like...
I value my time. I have a life away from my computer.
I don't want to get snagged into a back and forth with someone other than the OP who is obnoxious/narrow minded/dogmatic/absolutist/pedantic bore..hijacking the thread to admire their own ego.
A c&c thread may contain images that are technically ok but dull.
Pictures may be random rubbish snaps and i'm not interested in resolving that or policing it.
Some earlier respondents have succinctly given a view which mirrors my own so my repetition is unnecessary.
Some post and demand c&c without any insight/comment/objectivity given. Why should i care or give up my time to respond?

A preferred C&C situation for me is someone objective posts two or three pictures. Says what they like about them, says what they dislike. Informs what was challenging about the attempt and what was satisfying. One of the pictures is clearly a keeper. Another is good but needs a crop of some minor tweak. That's a worthwhile post that can be quickly responded to and is worth it.

I agree. I usually just skim over the debates because most of it is repeated, useless arguing. I guess that's why I've enjoyed the topic "Rate the photo above you" but I have in no way agreed with many of the critiques given. Some people do not know what they are doing so they are giving advice that makes no sense at all. I know many of us would like to butt in on some of the C&C's made but we don't want to interrupt the game.
Please see this thread.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ar-thread-good-idea-rate-photo-above-you.html

Last edited:
Interest in title of thread, OP's past reputation on TPF, how much time I really have to sit and comment.. It all depends. Sometimes an image just doesn't provoke me enough to say anything, other times I don't know how to express my feelings in the most thorough manner. Oh.. and a hot avatar always helps! :sexywink:

The ironic part is this thread has almost nothing to do with photography, has fairly little merit, and has more responses than my latest request for C&C.

It seems like we would rather comment on human nature than on photography?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back