Why do Wide-Angle Lenses have smaller fStops, when Landscapes need like f11?

One more question since I have your attention by my stupidity... ;)

Do all of you have any preferences/comments on the three lenses that I posted above? the Nikon is about $890 and the other two are about $500. I just have the kit lense 18-55mm, and a Nikon Prime 35mm f1.8 right now.

Thanks, again.. ;)

ps
Thanks Sparky!

Big Mike meant to read the responses in this thread. Your class must not have gone that in-depth. Plus, a prime lens is not one that has a constant max aperture throughout the zoom range - a prime lens is one that is not a zoom lens but has a fixed focal length.

Edit: Another option you may want to consider as it is very well rated http://www.adorama.com/TN1116NK.html

I guess I'm preferential to the Nikkor simply because that's what I have.

Instead of any of the lenses you posted, look into the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, and the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5.

I say gain an understanding of focus, focal length, DOF, and your camera BEFORE you invest more money. You will be able to make a more sophisticated and knowledge based decision on which lens. BTW, when I started out, a helpful idea to aid in understanding aperture was to imagine the aperture number as a fraction (1/2.8 being larger than 1/22). The larger the number, the smaller the actual opening in the lens or aperture. The inverse is also true. The larger the opening (smaller the number) the less DOF. Good luck.

Beware (although it may not be a big deal), the Tokina will not AF on your d5100

wide angle lenses arent only for landscapes!!! and why are you complaining even if they have a higher fstop?!!? it gives you more versatility having a large fstop is a good thing. i wish my sigma 10-20 was a 2.8 instead of a 4.5-5.6, i've been thinkin about selling it either for the 3.5 or 11-16 2.8 tokina. Try taking a picture inside a church with very low light, hand held you will have to up the iso.

Sheesh... read the thread before you post..

I never said wide angle lenses are only for landscapes!! Please quote me if you can find it..

And where was I complaining?? Again, read, then post... I was just trying to understand. :er:

wide angle lenses arent only for landscapes!!! and why are you complaining even if they have a higher fstop?!!? it gives you more versatility having a large fstop is a good thing. i wish my sigma 10-20 was a 2.8 instead of a 4.5-5.6, i've been thinkin about selling it either for the 3.5 or 11-16 2.8 tokina. Try taking a picture inside a church with very low light, hand held you will have to up the iso.

The OP was not aware when he posted this thread that the f/stop on the lens was just the max aperture, he was under the impression that it was the only aperture available with the lens. (at least I think that was the case) so he was confused as to why all the wide angle lenses he was seeing didn't offer apertures commonly used for landscapes, which would be a common use for a wide angle lens. He has since realized his error.

The aperture numbers on a lens are always the widest aperture (smallest number), lenses with a range of apertures listed on a lens are zoom lenses where the widest aperture varies depending on zoom; you still have smaller apertures (larger numbers) available.

Also, you don't need to do small apertures (F11 or higher) for landscapes. Common misconception. DOF is also affected by your distance from your subject. Further you are away, the deeper your DOF. If you focus point is a mountain 80 miles away or whatever... well... figure it out. :)

Also, you don't need to do small apertures (F11 or higher) for landscapes. Common misconception. DOF is also affected by your distance from your subject. Further you are away, the deeper your DOF. If you focus point is a mountain 80 miles away or whatever... well... figure it out. :)

Lots of the best landscape shots have close up foreground elements however, to create a sense of depth in the scene. One of my favorite ways to compose a deep looking scene (and also not an easy one to just "spot" somewhere) is to have points of attention at logarithmic distances from the camera. So, as an example, you're shooting a mountain scene.... 1ft from the lens you have a flower, 10ft from the lens you have a boulder, 100ft you have the near shore of a lake, 1000ft you have the the far shore, 10000ft you finally have the majestic mountain. A shot like this would be worth shooting f/11, or even f/16, depending on focal length.

As mentioned, the F stop in the name of the lens, is the Maximum aperture, not the only aperture. When they show a range like F3.5-4.5, that is a range of maximum that changes with the zoom of the lens.

You can still use smaller apertures like F11, F16, F22 etc.

This. I just learned this earlier today! :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back