Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
internetwhispers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Tony Northrup Throws Gas on the Canikon Debate

25 minutes but very informative. Anyone agree or disagree?

I saw this a while back. In today's world, when a person in his particular business has severe cognitive dissonance, he shoots a video and posts it on his YouTube channel. Make no mistake, he has a huge mostly-Canon fan following to whom he sells instructional materials. If a person wants to sell instructional materials to hobby shooters, that person definitely wants to aim for the Canon low- and mid-level camera crowd, just based on sheer, total numbers.

After he and his wife released the video of their head-to-head Canon 5D-III vs Nikon D810 test, where he proclaimed the D810 the best d-slr ever made, I imagine the push-back from his Canon using followers was positively huge--and this back-pedaling video was made not long after his "switch announcement" rocked the mindset of his Canon-using followers.

If you've seen his videos on YouTube, you can look at the comments from his followers; controversy follows him. Controversy generates hits. Hits generate sales of the products he sells during the videos.

Click-bait
videos make money for people who sell stuff.

Last edited:
......... Click-bait videos make money for people who sell stuff.
Click-bait is the least of my worries. I use AdBlock Plus and NoScript. I never see any advertisements at all. Ever. So is he correct or incorrect about Nikon not having the lenses available in the focal lengths he needs? I mean, he plainly says the 810 is a much better camera. But you think he's just pandering to his followers?

Im finding that switching to Nikon is as easy as...selling my Canon gear and...buying Nikon gear.

And I'm probably going to make the switch soon.

I'm done waiting for Canon to stop fellating their video line and actually begin trying to make still cameras that are more than "new autofocus lol buy another $2000 incremental upgrade."

There were some specific focal ranges he mentioned. And their 70-200 is actually only 60-130!! I was just looking for clarification, not trying to have any feud over it. If I wasn't already so invested in Canon glass, it would be a no-brainer.

The points he made about the differences in the two companies 70-200 f/2.8 lenses isn't new information. He, and many others, have been talking about it since the newer version of the Nikon was introduced. And a 400 f/5.6 prime for Nikon would be a nice option for wildlife shooters.

I shoot Nikon but I generally find his videos informative, this one included.

Interesting. While he tossed a lot of facts out, much was subjective. I think he should have qualified his remarks that he wasn't testing either company's 'Flagship' model.

Nor did he speak to the significance of his findings. Yes the Nikon D810 has a much bigger sensor which delivers greater detail ... but at what size does that extra detail become visible? While he recommended the 7D for wildlife he never mentioned that the 7D is an APS-C sensor.

What I appreciate it that Northrup's is highlighting that for the photographer, the system is equally, if not more important, than the camera.

Gary

Last edited:
There were some specific focal ranges he mentioned. And their 70-200 is actually only 60-130!! I was just looking for clarification, not trying to have any feud over it. If I wasn't already so invested in Canon glass, it would be a no-brainer.

By the time everyone in the photography universe has heard about the Nikon 70-200mm VRII, the "true range" will be down to 50-85mm. :icon_pissedoff:

Tony's "informercial" for Canon has already been posted and discussed here: Nikon 70-200 - true range/performance | Photography Forum

Snerd, if you're looking for clarification, read what Tom Hogan said about the VR II: 70-200mm AF-S VR II Lens Review by Thom Hogan

Rather than take the word of a corporate shill like Tony Northrup, I put more trust in objective reviewers, like Tom Hogan.

Doug

this f-ing guy. Everytime I watch his videos he always put that unsubstantiated * somewhere.

Ridiculous. The Nikon/Canon debate has been decided. I switched from Canon to Nikon a year ago and don't regret it for one second. I've done all the research and can sum up the entire mess in just a few sentences: Nikon sensors are so far superior to Canon it is freaking ridiculous. The D800, D800E, and now the D810 are simply the best DSLRs, period. DXOmark just tested the 7dII and rate the sensor equal to the 5 year old Nikon D300s. Ergonomics are similar, there are some advantages and disadvantages to each, but not enough to make a difference either way. Both make great lenses. There is ONE reason and one reason only to shoot Canon in my opinion, and that is if you absolutely have to have a 50 or 85 1.2.

Is it just me or are we getting one of those Canon VS Nikon VS Sony VS Bacon threads every tie someone on youtube posts one of these "I like" videos?

Is it just me or are we getting one of those Canon VS Nikon VS Sony VS Bacon threads every tie someone on youtube posts one of these "I like" videos?
Ohhhh I LOVE bacon, even though I am not supposed to eat it :(

Everybody knows Nikon is the best, no wait Canon is the best.........................Ah and Sony, oh Sony, now that's the best for sure.
Or is it Nikon ?
Oh never mind, I will stick to Bacon!

I don't think it matters much. Either system will do.

Except as pointed out, Nikon does everything in regards to what really matters much better. But because a lens supposedly* doesn't offer the range he wants...

*And he loves his Tamron 24-70, so why not talk about the Tamron 70-200. Oh because then he really wouldn't have any reason at all--fake or not.

Most reactions

Back