“Why I Want to Switch to Nikon, But Can’t”

I used Leica SLR's for a long time shooting film, they were great, amazing glass. I switched to Canon and that's what I have used since 1980. I use Canon, all my lenses are Canon, I have borrowed Nikon gear and loved it, but not enough to switch, couldn't afford to. Nikon has a much better pro service in Canada. Canon has always been sub-par when it comes to treating professionals, and still is. At the high end of both Nikon and Canon gear, the difference to me is that it makes no difference.

All these great videos, and articles written about the pro and con of using any brand are generally biased towards the brand that is providing them with free gear. I don't get free gear from anyone, I just use the stuff I own and am happy with it. I don't watch many videos, or read articles about gear. I just take pictures.

A buddy of mine flipped back and forth between Canon and Nikon every time something new and "better" came out, I benefitted when he would sell off all his Canon gear, I bought what I needed from him. He has since given up on going back to Canon, it was costing him too much money and it wasn't a full time job for him. He based his switches on magazine articles.

I wander if carpenters have debates about which brand of hammers are the best.

I switched because canon was better for video. That's it. If it had been the other way around I would have switched to nikon.

Oh yes - heck they have hammers now with MAGNETS in them

Some also collect them just like we collect lenses

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I [wonder] if carpenters have debates about which brand of hammers are the best.
I own a flooring forum with a lot of flooring installer members who enjoy a good which-brand-tool-is-better debate. Well, it never ends up a debate, but more like a pissing match. And a hatchet hammer is a great tool... as long as you can switch out the handle for a curved one. :rolleyes:

I watch a lot of videos. I don't think I'm jaded yet. I've learned some from Tony and several others. There's not a lot of learning resources available that the teacher doesn't show their biases. I don't rely on just one person to help me decide what system or lens to buy. I don't hang on every word of anyone in particular - in photography or floorcoverings or anything else in life.

Jim

Oh yes - heck they have hammers now with MAGNETS in them

I always thought that if a magnet was dropped or hit it would lose it's magnetism. So I find this interesting.

I have never understood why people have to argue or debate the which is better thing. Isn't it all about what works best for the shooter? So Tony likes the Canon better because of the lens or whatever. Good for him. Glad he is using what he likes.
It's a silly "reason" why when the reason is false. A better reason would be: because I don't want to.

Except as pointed out, Nikon does everything in regards to what really matters much better. But because a lens supposedly* doesn't offer the range he wants...

*And he loves his Tamron 24-70, so why not talk about the Tamron 70-200. Oh because then he really wouldn't have any reason at all--fake or not.

Please, Braineack, you'd better stop providing intelligent, reasoned insight into why this guy releases these videos, or some people might be made aware they're being snowed. He's SELLING something...something that is guaranteed not to cause any worries among buyers of low-end Canon equipment. He listed the Canon 50mm f/1.8, the "Iffy-Fifty", as one of the better reasons to get into the Canon system. OMFG...I owned an Iffy-Fifty...a cheap, plastic POS with a 5-bladed diaphragm and a 1950's-era optical design and 1950's-era lens performance rivaling my Russian-made 58mm f/2 Zenitar: meaning, huge f****g green flare over 80% of the entire frame area whenever shot toward the sun...yeah...Canon's Iffy-Fifty...one of Tony Northrup's "Canon system advantages". Start at the 15:19 mark.

Tony Northrup actually recommended the Canon system because....Canon offers the lowest-priced, shi++iest-performing 50mm lens of any company...yeah... Tony's advice is rock-solid.

Last edited:
I wonder if carpenters have debates about which brand of hammers are the best.

Carpenters do debate hammer brands. However, there is one tool they never debate... The Skil model 77 has been, still is, and always will be king of the worm drive saws.
That, and the ONLY tractor worth owning is Kubota. :popcorn:

There have been some pretty decent tractors over the years. Some I've actually farmed with include John Deere, Massey-Harris, Massey-Furguson, Ford, International Harvester, Kubota, and Case, with dates of production from the 1940's to 1980's. The Massey's were pretty old, as were the JD's, while the Internationals and Cases and Kubota were pretty new units.

I love watching the Rural Network. You can get entire shows about tractors!

I love watching the Rural Network. You can get entire shows about tractors!

Never knew there was such a channel but if I can find it i will be watching !!!! I sure don't need a tractor but that doesn't stop me from wanting one. Interesting, I just described 80% of my photography gear :801:

Most reactions

Back