Why I Will NEVER Be a Pro Photographer

Sharon, watch these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharon, your skills far exceed the vast majority of entry-level pro's out there... so you are capable. Your biggest issue will be slowing down and forcing yourself to think about what and how you are shooting. Very common issue with people new to shoots like this. Avoid the urge to spray and pray, hoping that you will get some that will work (this is way too common, as evinced by the 500 image 2 hour sessions on a cd offered by many of a certain ilk (yes.. I said ILK! lol!)

Just slow down... use the skills you have worked on, and you should do ok.

It's just like making love for the first time. You're all nervous and it will go way too fast and probably be disappointing to both parties. But as time goes on you'll get better and learn what makes you and your partner happy. Eventually you will get to the point where you can knockout a session in no time at all and leave both parties very satisfied.

Of course things will become boring and you'll need to bring in extra equipment and more drama to feel the same excitement you did at first. Heck you might even bring in a second shooter or perhaps just doing sessions in public or with groups. But it won't work and eventually you start looking at other art forms, maybe dabble with painting or throw a pot here and there.

It's just like making love for the first time.

Really.. Pain, blood and screaming? Wow.. Sharon, you are in for it.... lol!

:biglaugh:

Just pretend you shooting Osprey with out wings or talons.

:lmao: ...and now, I'm gonna go out there to do these shoots and I'm gonna suddenly imagine these people WITH wings and talons. That's awesome! :D

I'd be right there with you if I were involved in something similar. That's probably why I rarely volunteer to do any kind of special project, especially in photography. By now I'm sure you're in the middle of it, doing fine and not even aware of being nervous.

Oh no...NO such luck. Scheduled for the very end of the workday, just to torture me and prolong the anxiety...
Well, possibly to allow the participants to get here after work, but still... :D

Mehhh... based on your previous work, I see no issues. You'll knock it outta the park!

Thank you for the vote of confidence!

Sharon, watch these.

I gotta admit, I fully expected that video to be some sort of hilarious parody filled with sexual innuendos, not an actual emotionally-packed, touchy-feeling segment of motivational moments. A couple of them almost made me cry. Almost. Thanks, runnah!

Once you start to overthink the shoot it is natural to get nervous. I don't know too many pros that still don't worry about what they are shooting. I've been doing this a long time and I still get into overthinking and stressing over some shoots. It will all come together, but it also means the next one will be just a little easier.

You'll do awesome Sharon!

Key to remember... Only other photographers see 90% of the issues you will see, and you care enough to minimize even those.

I gotta admit, I fully expected that video to be some sort of hilarious parody filled with sexual innuendos, not an actual emotionally-packed, touchy-feeling segment of motivational moments. A couple of them almost made me cry. Almost. Thanks, runnah!

Sharon, your skills far exceed the vast majority of entry-level pro's out there... so you are capable. Your biggest issue will be slowing down and forcing yourself to think about what and how you are shooting. Very common issue with people new to shoots like this. Avoid the urge to spray and pray, hoping that you will get some that will work (this is way too common, as evinced by the 500 image 2 hour sessions on a cd offered by many of a certain ilk (yes.. I said ILK! lol!)

Just slow down... use the skills you have worked on, and you should do ok.

Again, thanks for the vote of confidence; I'm glad SOMEone has confidence in my abilities, since it ain't ME. :D

Excellent reminder though, to SLOW down. I can have a tendency to let careful plans fly out the window and just shoot, shoot, shoot if I get too nervous and forget to just stop and think.
I have a plan, I know the basic sorts of shots I need for each person. The ad campaign is basically "how do you use your commute?" promoting all the things you can do while riding the bus that you can't do if you're driving yourself to/from work.
We have a multitasker, a reader, a people watcher, a student involved in research, a mom who enjoys spending the time with her son, etc. I have a pretty good idea of how I want to portray each of them, and I've already asked them to bring appropriate "props."

Tonight I'll have more time with each person, if I need it, so I'm hoping that will serve to make me more comfortable and not feel rushed (which is when I can tend to just start clicking away!) and in turn, I'm hoping tonight goes well enough that by tomorrow evening when I've got a lot more people to get through in the same time frame, I won't be nearly as stressed and will still take my time. I really only need maybe 3 or 4 GOOD shots for each person, for us to choose from, and I should have about 15 minutes with each one. Once the first one is done, I shouldn't have to do much in the way of tinkering with settings and flashes, so I'm thinking that will be plenty of time to just concentrate on getting the really good shots, instead of just trying to take 100 shots *hoping* for a few good ones.

I learned from watching you!

Is it normal to cry so much before, during and after?

Yes but my wife says not to take her crying personally.

Wear camo and waders and pretend they are herons and egrets.

Most reactions

Back