why is my focus ring not working?

ph0toe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

trying to use manual focus. i have the 24mm-105mm lens switched from auto to manual. i also switch to viewfinder /video live view and magnify x5 to zoom in and then turn the focus ring but it isn't getting sharper. what am i doing wrong?

using mark 3 5d

is there anything else I can try to make sure? and, am I doing everything right in terms of explaining ?

is there anything else I can try to make sure? and, am I doing everything right in terms of explaining ?
Make sure you are not closer to the subject than the lens' closest focus distance.

Yeah, I saw what you were doing in the video, and it was good enogh for the test (you would have a bit of underexposure but that doesn't matter for assessing the lens).

I would expect some kind of change in focus when you rotated the focus ring (and I could see it move from near infinity to close up on the scale). It should have completely defocused the lens too, but from what I could see you didn't have any change in focus at all.

You could pop to a shop and try one of their lenses, if you can MF with their one that's a good indicator that it's the lens and not a setting.

Lens repair is also expensive, so I supect that if it is broken, it'd probably best to replace it with a new one.

Most reactions

Back