Why is my model looking short?

thapapawan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need help with making my model look tall. I have seen so many images of girls with 5 feet look taller and leaner. Whenever I shoot with any angle (eye level, waist level, lens tilt) all the models look shorter even they are 5'8". I use Sigma Art 50mm | Canon 5DMiii.

Is it about focal length/distance or do I always have to crouch down to the ground level?

Please help!

Show us photos.

Joe

Keep the back of the camera parallel with the subject, and at lower level than their eye-level, and lower than your normal eye-level.

If you shoot with a short-ish lens, like a 50mm, and you stand up straight and tall, you will be angling the camera downward a few degrees, espcially, especially on a 5-foot-tal person!!!, and your standing model will have a larger upper body and a smaller waist-to-feet appearance. This becomes worse, and worse, and worse, the shorter the focal length used, and the closer the camera is positioned to the person.

A huge number of people do not understand this camera-handling fundamental, and shoot lots of things like wedding formals, groups, and so on, with the camera at THEIR EYE-level...which leads to this not-quite-optimal rendering of people.

We had some photo examples of this posted the day before yesterday. As Ysarex asks: show us photos.

You might very well be shooting from too close to the person, which can render unflattering perspective. Perspective is based on camera-to-subject distance.

Most reactions

Back