Why is the D5100 cheaper than D90?

PicMaker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wondering if anyone knows why the D5100 is cheaper (some £80 or $120?).

You can make up this margin and save money if you buy the kit lens (18-105) with the D90 as a combined kit.

In the UK you can get a D5100 for about £420 body only, while the D90 is at £500. I can't fathom this out, can anyone???

Although the D90 is an older model, and the D5100 has a few advantages from newer technology, I would venture to say that people are willing to pay a little more money (myself included) for the few features that the D90 has over the D5100. Built in AF motor, and Flash Commander. If those are not an issue, then the D5100 is the better choice of camera. personally, I like the ability to pick AF or AF-D lenses and still have them auto focus on my D90.

Because it is an entry level model. The d90 was considered a prosumer model when released. It it better built, has a built in AF motor, commander mode to trigger off camera flash.The d5100 has a newer sensor and I, personally, think that is the only benefit.Go to a local store and hold each in your hands and feel the difference as well.

The D90 has an LCD on the top of it, 2 command wheels, CLS Commander mode, more external controls, an auto focus motor, pentaprizm viefinder, and many other features the D5100 lacks.

Last edited:
The D90 has an LCD on the top of it, 2 command wheels, CLS Commander mode, more external controls, and many other features the D5100 lacks.

And there you have it. love my D90. cant wait to get the D7000 :thumbup:

Yep as mentioned all above. Also D90 has Bigger Brighter Viewfinder for easier time composing. With the Dedicated 2nd control wheel and dedicated buttons. Means I can adjust on the fly without my eye leaving the viewfinder. Where entry cameras I would miss a shot to go menu digging. Became frustrated after just 9 months and had to upgrade.

That and takes a true integrated vertical grip. Top Lcd for Night and Tripod work. Makes for a more features wide usability.

So comes down to how far your path into photography goes. Personally I want a camera I can grow into the next few years. Not one I very may well grow out of in the first year.

The D90 was never a prosumer model.

Nikon has 2 grades of entry-level cameras. The compacts that don't have an auto focus motor - D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, D3200, D5000, D5100 - and the normal size cameras that do have a focus motor - D50, D70, D70s, D80, D90, and D7000.

yeah, though I'd say the D7000 is almost pro-sumer, as it'd be hard to have a better crop sensor, and some pros shoot with it for certain reasons.

Pro-sumer though is usually bodies like the D700, D800, etc and are usually full frame FX. With the D4 and the like being the pro models.

I was under the impression that Nikon never actually used the words "prosumer" for ANY of their cameras. it was DX and FX models. I think they call some of their FX cameras "pro" models, but thats about it. i think it was other marketing factors and sales outlets that coined the phrase "prosumer". I could be wrong tho.

I was under the impression that Nikon never actually used the words "prosumer" for ANY of their cameras. it was DX and FX models. I think they call some of their FX cameras "pro" models, but thats about it. i think it was other marketing factors and sales outlets that coined the phrase "prosumer". I could be wrong tho.

Yeah, it was never official by any means. I always sort of thought of it like this:

Consumer grade: D3100, D3200, D5100, D40, etc

Enthusiast grade: D7000, D90, D70, etc

Pro-sumer grade: D700, D800

Pro grade D3, D4

The next step is where the D600 fits in, I guess it'd be considered an enthusiast grade FX. It's clearly not aimed at pro-sumer occasional wedding type shooters, but it's kind of weird putting it alongside the pure enthusiast grade, which was traditionally been DX format.

D600 will be "Pro-enthusiast" grade that will steal all the business from D800's.

Thanks for the replies........

I know the thread has changed shape and I don't want to upset anyone, but I find this pro, prosumer, entry level thing a bit hard to understand.

Let me tell you what I mean. If I shot just portraits, family photo's, pets, etc, and made a living from it, I can in all fairness call myself a pro because it was my income. I do not need a D4 to do that or any FX camera.
I also know a professional or 2 that use the D7000 for weddings.

One last thing, build aside, a D3100 10-15 years ago would have been the No1 "pro" model if it had existed.

D600 will be the poor mans FF.

Nikon's model numbering scheme, so far, defines entry-level, prosumer, and pro grade.

All Dxx(letter)(like the D40x, and D70s) and Dxxxx models are entry-level.

All Dxxx(letter)(D300s) are prosumer (so far).

All Dx(letter)(D3s, D3x) are pro grade, and have a built-in vertical grip.

No doubt the D7000 has substantially raised the bar for all entry-level grade DSLR's but the D7000 still lacks many of the features Nikon's prosumer cameras have long had.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back