What's new

Why is this out of focus?

onesix

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 2, 2009
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado Springs
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
_CDG5043_resize.jpg


f6.3
1/160


I was using AP mode on my Nikon. Doesn't that automatically set my shutter speed? I don't remember having these problems in the past. I know is a very newbie problem. Sorry
 
It appears that your camera did focus ... but just behind the two foreground subjects.
 
^^^ Yeah. The kid on the far right (red shirt & socks) looks to be in focus.

What focus mode were you using, and which focus points were selected?
 
right. However... I was obviously trying for the one with the ball. I don't get what happened. I think my f stop is the problem. Should I have been up in the 8+ range?
 
I think I was using spot with single focus point. I was trying a number of different things.
 
right. However... I was obviously trying for the one with the ball. I don't get what happened. I think my f stop is the problem. Should I have been up in the 8+ range?

Right, I figured that. ;)

F stop has absolutely nothing to do with autofocus.

What likely happened is that you had the wrong AF point selected, or you had all AF points selected (and the camera chose the wrong one).

Either that, or you didn't half press the shutter release to lock focus and then press all the way to capture. If you do it all in one smooth motion, the camera will have to decide what to focus on on the spot.
 
OllllO -
Normally... I would totally agree. But those were not the only picts that turned out like that. I will post more tomorrow because I need to get to work. I can still get on here, just not post pictures. Stupid Air Force computers.
 
F stop has absolutely nothing to do with autofocus.
Agreed, this is a matter of where your autofocus points are.

There might be a problem if nothing were in focus, but it looks like it is just the wrong subject.
 
OllllO -
Normally... I would totally agree. But those were not the only picts that turned out like that. ...

That makes is sound like Josh's first guess is a likely candidate, that you had an inappropriate focus sensor selected. Either that or your handling the camera wrong, trapping the focus without properly targeting the subject or waiting too long after trapping focus and the subject moves before you take the shot.
 
OllllO -
Normally... I would totally agree. But those were not the only picts that turned out like that. I will post more tomorrow because I need to get to work. I can still get on here, just not post pictures.

Other than what has already been mentioned, I don't really know what could have caused it. I doubt it's a fault with the camera...

No offense, but I think the most likely thing is that 'in the heat of the moment' you forgot to lock focus in before taking the picture.
OR - you did lock in the focus, and everyone moved before you took it.

The camera did focus on something, so I think this one is "user error". Not trying to say you don't know what you're doing or anything like that - this just doesn't look like a camera problem to me.

Stupid Air Force computers.

HAHA..., Trust me - I know. ;)
 
I'm sure its user error. I'm kinda new to all this.

My other question... based on the f setting shouldn't the shutter speed been a little faster? I know is AP setting you don't have control over that aspect. But still
 
If you would have used the 4-way controller on the back of the camera, and pressed the left hand side of the button you would have put an AF bracket on the kid in the red shirt, and you would have had perfect focusing.

On the D700, a better solution for soccer would be to go to the Custom Settings menu a8, and select 11-area AF...use the thumb button to put a group of AF points on off-center subjects and you'll have superb autofocusing.

What happened here is that the active AF sensor is in the middle of the viewfinder image--leading to what is called back focus, ie focusing in back of the desired subject.

The AF systems in modern cameras are very sophisticated, so you need to read the manual and also do a bit of practicing.
 
Last edited:
f6.3
1/160

I was using AP mode on my Nikon. Doesn't that automatically set my shutter speed? I don't remember having these problems in the past. I know is a very newbie problem. Sorry

Yes it will automatically set your shutter speed - based on several factors;

1) the ambient lighting at the time - in brighter lighting you will get faster speeds and in dimmer lighting slower ones. Experience in the field will help you be a better judge of what sort of speeds you are likley to get

2) Aperture selected - wider apertures (more light getting into the camera and smaller f numbers) will give you faster shutter speeds than smaller apertures (less light getting into the camera and larger f numbers)

3) ISO - a higher ISO will give you a more sensative camera sensor and so faster shutter speeds - but remember that the more you raise ISO the more your shots will get noise in them (specks on the shot). How far you can raise your ISO depends on your camera, your skill and on your own personal limits on how much noise you are prepared to have in the shot

4) The precence or lack of exposure compensation - when your camera meters normally in the semi auto modes it attempts to match your settings for a perfect exposure only - it won't take into account what you are shooting or what sort of shot you want. At times it can also be tricked as well - giving you incorrect results (such as in very bright lighting) or you might wish to push a certain setting and so you would delibratly under or overexpose the shot.

For a better understanding of this I strongly recomend reading Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson - the book will go into far more depth and yet is easy to understand when your new to photography
 
YES, your subjects of interest are both off-center. What is exactly centered in the frame is the grass of the soccer pitch. It looks almost like you had a center/bottom AF point selected. With a group focusing approach, like 11-area out of the 51 point AF, it'd be easy to get good focus. The D700 has a professional-level, 51 point AF system, but you need to know how to use it at a basic level. Terms like off-center subject for example, you need to be familiar with. Reading the manual would help a lot.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom