What's new

Why is this pic still not sharp

kindred_fp

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 5, 2014
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Guys,

Took a picture of a friends quadcopter, but I noticed the right section is still not as sharp. I figured with my aperture and shutter speed should have been enough to freeze any movement. I hope its not a lens issue or is it just me being too picky.

Here is metadata

5.3 aperture
1/320 shutter speed
no flash
iso 125
56mm

Using my new nikon 16-85mm lens on a Nikon d5200

Thanks
 

Attachments

  • $14509203935_d5aff63936_z.webp
    $14509203935_d5aff63936_z.webp
    38.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Plugging in some values into the DOF calculator, I come up with DOF of about 0.45 ft. and the distance in front of the point of focus of 0.21 ft. So if the right-most rotor is more than 3 inches in front of the rotor that is in focus, it will not be in focus.

Use a smaller aperture.
 
Thanks, rookie mistake on my part, I thought having my aperture around f5ish range should have me covered.
 
Thanks, rookie mistake on my part, I thought having my aperture around f5ish range should have me covered.

Kindred, you can also back up a bit more from the subject to increase your DOF, that can help a lot in situations where you are limited on how much you can stop down the lens.
 
At f/5 you could also zoom out to about a 30mm focal length and get the approximate DOF as with an aperture of about f/16.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom