Why my photo is darker??

The aperture and f/number are the same thing. The f number is just rounded to the nearest third of a stop. The aperture is showing what it actually was.

And yes, aperture does affect exposure the same way shutter speed does.

That's weird though, her pic is stopped down more, so it should be the one that's darker. She also has brighter clothes on, so that would also make hers the darker one (if it was a metering related problem).

The settings and the clothes you guys were wearing would both suggest the opposite result of what happened...

Maybe it was just a cloud passing by...?

How d'ya figger? Same shutter speed, his image taken at f 5.6 or about 2/3 stop more open than her's at f6.3. Bigger opening = more light = darker image.

:confused:

Run that by me again...

Everything is exactly the same except for the aperture.

How would opening the aperture up more make the picture darker...?

It could be that you focused in on something brighter in the darker picture.. If that was the case it's either operator error or the AF system screwing up. I always have my AF set to the very center so I know what I'm focusing on.

Honestly it was probably just some cloud coverage -_- Look at the entire scene, her image is much brighter than his overall. Not just the subject.

Honestly it was probably just some cloud coverage -_- Look at the entire scene, her image is much brighter than his overall. Not just the subject.

I think it probably was a cloud or something, although -

The 'darkness' of the subject would affect the metering, which would affect the entire scene.

However, the exif suggests the opposite of what happened - which makes me think it had to be a cloud, or the light changing in some other way.

I don't know what tirediron is talking about, but if all other settings remain the same, opening the aperture will make the picture brighter, not darker. I'm assuming he's just not fully awake yet or something...lol.

I think tirediron was stating what happened rather than what should have happened?

OMG.. getting complicated with those shutter - aperture things.. but it's exciting!!

what makes the aperture on her pic different from mine? is it the distance camera to object?

This is another example with same case.
Untitled-1.jpg

her: shutter 1/49, aperture f/5
mine: shutter 1/83, aperture f/6.4

In this photo is clear that mine is darker as the shutter is faster. Am i right? i still dont get about the aperture.

On the second picture, since the shutter speeds are different as well as the aperture, it would take a little more thinking to figure out the actual change in exposure value...

Yours has a faster shutter speed and a smaller aperture, which will both work to make the picture darker. Just a rough guess, but it looks like about 1 1/2 stops.

I don't really know why it's happening... What camera are you using?

Although the composition is slightly different, it's close enough that it shouldn't be making such drastic changes in the metering...

Are they both being processed the same way?

i still dont get about the aperture.
Aperture affects exposure just like shutter speed or ISO. It's just that it also controls the depth of field.

It's a ratio, so a bigger f/# is actually smaller aperture. f/4 is bigger than f/8, just as 1/4 is bigger than 1/8. "F" is the focal length of the lens.

Smaller apertures will have greater depth of field (DOF), meaning that more will be in focus.

maybe you just have a darker personality and that is coming out in the photos.

here is what I do in these situations... put the camera in Manual mode, set for correct exposure. take the picture of my wife. hand the camera to her, tell her not to touch anything but the shutter release. go strike a pose.

p!nK

My money is on different metering modes, one matrix, one spot. Or perhaps some exposure compensation which (I think) remains unless cancelled.

I think the only way to get to the bottom of the issue is to start with the very basics.
- What is the make and model of each camera?
- What lens is fitted to each camera?
- What is the mode dial setting on each camera?

same camer MrBarney

someone has to be turning, twisting , touching a control someplace along the way, probably without knowing it.

I am using Canon 450D with UV lens 72mm fitted to the camera. Since i am beginner, most of the time i use Automatic P mode, also when i took those two example photos. Never used Manual, as not sure how it works.

@OIIIIIIO: yes, both photos were processed same way

After i hand the camera to her, she might have zoomed in/out which changed the setting. But as said in the beginning of this thread, we took the photos from more or less same spot, same angle, and same proportion, so it shouldn't have made that big difference.

Have you noticed this happening at other times? Pictures coming out underexposed for no apparent reason...?

This whole thing seems very odd to me... Settings being changed somehow seems to be the only explanation, but on the auto modes, I don't really see how that could happen without you noticing. Exposure compensation would be pretty much the only way it could happen, and I don't see that happening on accident.

If you notice this problem on a lot of other pictures, it could be possible that you have a defective camera...

The only other thing I can thing of is that the UV filter might be screwing with the camera somehow. Take that off for a while and see if things get better...

?

The aperture and f/number are the same thing. The f number is just rounded to the nearest third of a stop. The aperture is showing what it actually was.

And yes, aperture does affect exposure the same way shutter speed does.

That's weird though, her pic is stopped down more, so it should be the one that's darker. She also has brighter clothes on, so that would also make hers the darker one (if it was a metering related problem).

The settings and the clothes you guys were wearing would both suggest the opposite result of what happened...

Maybe it was just a cloud passing by...?

How d'ya figger? Same shutter speed, his image taken at f 5.6 or about 2/3 stop more open than her's at f6.3. Bigger opening = more light = darker image.

:confused:

Run that by me again...

Everything is exactly the same except for the aperture.

How would opening the aperture up more make the picture darker...?

Let's just assume that I was on glue shall we? I have NO IDEA what was going through my mind when submitted that post!

what were the ISO settings for the image. if both of you had the same aperture and shutter speed, ISO might be the problem. for example you may have had ISO 200, and she 400 then hers would be brighter.

LOL, I figured it was something like that - or lack of sleep. :lol:

No worries.

Most reactions

Back