Why ND grads are not always necessary for landscapes

.... but I have not seen anything about masks yet in the book.....
You don't mention which book, but true masking is one of the features in Photoshop that's never been included with Elements though I have not yet looked at PSE8.

You can always go to the Index in the back of the book and see if they include anything, though if the have 'Masking' as an entry, they could be refering to the masking slider in the Sharpening tools which is not what Steven is talking about.

The book is Elements 8 for Photographers. Author is Philip Andrews. He does talk about using masks in relation to layers. Unfortunately I really didn't understand much of the material and how to work with the layers or how to mask parts off if able. Guess I need to find another book.

The book is Elements 8 for Photographers. Author is Philip Andrews. He does talk about using masks in relation to layers. Unfortunately I really didn't understand much of the material and how to work with the layers or how to mask parts off if able. Guess I need to find another book.

I posted this before but here it is again:

I used 3 separate exposures on this image. The pink shows the transparent on that layer (mask)....

Top Image
01-073a.jpg

01-073a_mask.jpg

5D, 70-200mm, ISO 100, 1/4, f/11

Middle Image
01-073b.jpg

01-073b_mask.jpg

5D, 70-200mm, ISO 100, 1/8, f/11

Bottom Image (no mask)
01-073c.jpg

5D, 70-200mm, ISO 100, 1/30, f/11

Final Product....
_MG_9704.jpg

Here's a screen print of the layers in CS2
01-073_layers.jpg

Hey Mike, Thanks for [posting that again. I have seen it before but it is helpful to see what layers can do. I should have stated that my lack of understanding is in getting the program to do what I want it to do. I understand the purpose of layers and am excited to see the potential, I just haven't figured out which buttons to push to manipulate things in such a way. I have only been looking at it for a couple of days though. When I get home from this trip I may look around for a photoshop class at one of the local community colleges. They always seem to have something going on.

I am starting to think Elements 8 is able to perform the function you illustrated above. Just want to make sure before I spend the money. It does have an exposure merging function which seems similar to working in layers.

though grads and use of photoshop are both viable methods, i prefer the filters because to me it's a more rewarding experience going out and shooting somewhere and getting the exposure to look the best it possibly can rather than getting some base exposures to put together on the computer. though i still rely on photoshop to get my pictures to look how i want/ how i saw the landscape itself, i still find it more exciting to look at a picture im 95% happy with on the back of my lcd before even going home. just my opinion;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back