why noes goes OOF

minister

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Bad Link Post 2 or 3 images and you will get better responses. Folks really do not want to click on a link that could be malware, specially when we are dealing with our photo computers.
-
Shoot well, Joe
-
Not seeing images , put the camera on a tripod and test it to see if it holds focus. If you are focusing and recomposing it could be you. Does your camera have a back focus button AF/AE lock? if so you may want to program it to lock focus. You have not told us what part of the face you have a tendancy to focus on: eye closest to you, eye farthest away, bridge of nose etc. If you are usng Nikon only the center focusing point uses the focus assist light on most Nikons that have that option, do you have it at the focusing point?

Last edited:
I'll guess it's your aperture being to large. Close it down to f8 once and see the difference. If you want to maintain a blurred background, keep the background as far away as possible. Especially witht he 85mmf1.4, thats what you are shooting with right?

85mm f1.4 @1.4
6044471655_47d5067907_z.jpg

^^What Jake said... if you have too small a DOF.. you can miss the nose and ears when focusing on the eyes. DOF changes with focal length, aperture and distance. Check out Online Depth of Field Calculator

Last edited:
The DoF is to shallow. DoF is about depth, and is a plane that is parallel to the image sensor.

Cleaning-lady.jpg

for example this is one image
f stop i used was 2.5
lens was 85mm 1.8 and my distance from lady was around 5 ft
so what you suggest if I want to take the tight head shot what f stop and distance I should use

minister said:
f stop i used was 2.5
so what you suggest if I want to take the tight head shot what f stop and distance I should use

I can't tell you what distance or aperture to be at but try doing what the above person said - shoot at f/8 and put a lot of distance between subject and background. Then adjust the settings until you have the image you want.

f stop i used was 2.5

According to Online Depth of Field Calculator with your D5000 and those parameters the total DoF was only 0.1 feet(2.5 cm), with 1/2 that distance in front of, and the other h1/2 behinbd the focal point.

You need to gain a better understanding of the factors that effect DoF: Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

Cleaning-lady.jpg

f stop i used was 2.5

Step back about 5 feet and crop final image to match.

Or stop down more(larger F#) like F8.

thanks all for ur valuable suggestions

Most reactions

Back