Why not a smartphone camera.

As I said, I cannot imagine any camera replacing a smart phone but my camera already is able to use a wireless connect to printers, other cameras and yes smart phones.

Using the smart phone wireless interface, one of the younger folks at our local camera club, was able to,
* View images on the camera on a smart phone when transfer them to the phone.
* Use the smart phone to take pictures and change the camera settings.

Heck my camera also has a GPS interface system, can takes movies and has an, add a sound track, option.

If nothing else I would expect to see a "Hands free speaker phone" interface button, even my truck has that. :)

There are litteraly at least 2 different lines of products, with dozens of separate products available today that will do that, and do it better and more conveniently... My wife answers calls on her Smart watch all the time, and my daughter's wireless headphones can also answer calls, both without removing the phone from a pocket or purse. Heck my wife answers calls on her watch with the phone upstairs on the charger....
While you are adding that functionality to a DSLR, let's add it to tv remote controls, and power tools... Imagine you are working on your latest project in the garage and your phone rings, boom, press a button on your drill to answer it without missing a beat....

Honestly, adding smartphone functionality to a camera is a crappy answer to a question that's already got lots of great answers.

If nothing else I would expect to see a "Hands free speaker phone" interface button, even my truck has that. :)

You know what, my car has that feature and at one point, that feature made me look pretty dumb. LOL

So I brought my car to a shop for state inspection. Since there is an slot open so they decided to pull the car into the shop garage and started the job right away while I was finishing the paper work.
Then my wife called me so I picked up the call and said "Hello" ... no response ... so I said "Hello" .... nothing ... then I said "HELLO ... CAN YOU HEAR ME!" ...
Then the mechanic who was at my car yell ... "HEY ... OVER HERE!!"

Well .. you know ... BLUETOOTH hands free speaker phone at my car!! LOL

Decaur,

You make my point perfectly, cell phone interfaces are ubiquitous.

They may even end up in Happy Meal toys. Kids can talk to grandma on their Jurassic Park dinosaur toy. :)

It is only a matter of time.

Please add a phone to this. Just don’t call me ‘cause I’m not picking up.
IMG_0007.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zombie,

Some time I think we would all like that option on a lot of our devices. Good one :)

Cell phones are amazingly powerful computers that can fit in your pocket for an affordable price. Most of them also happen to have amazing cameras on them.
Yeesh.

I find your definition of what a "amazing camera" is quite riddiculous.

If THAT is "amazing", what do I call a $400 D700 from the used market ? That old D700 obliterates any cellphone, and most brutally so.

Camera companies couldn't make a decent phone even if they tried.
And they arent trying and shouldnt try.

Basically, the Smartphone replaced the POCKET point and shoot camera.
Jupp. They are both "good enough" cameras. And the smartphone, while even weaker, has the added convenience of direct upload.

If I already have a pocket size Smartphone which can take decent photos within its limit, why do I need to get another point and shoot camera that do the same.
Larger sensor, better image quality, zoom ability, ... the problem with smartphones is not that they are great, but they are "good enough".

There is quite a debate going here.
How about this for a reason not to combine DSLR IQ in a phone.
When I get the camera out to do a photography session I leave the phone off.
I don’t want the constant ping of msg/e male/ missed call that some people seem to think is a nessary part of life.
I am of the gen where we had to walk half mile with a pocket full of 2pence pieces to make a call.
Someone once said the best camera is the one you have with you
Can’t argue with that, but if I want to take photos I will use the canon. For phone calls I will use the phone
For those grab the moment before it’s gone, you know kids pets the other half looking stunning in the dress shop photos I will use whatever is close to hand

If THAT is "amazing", what do I call a $400 D700 from the used market ? That old D700 obliterates any cellphone, and most brutally so.

You need to trade-in your flip phone, dude.

Comparing some vacation shots against my D800 and $1000 lens, I'm not seeing it obliterating anything.

27760946687_eda6b1df98.jpg
41730039005_a45f455805.jpg

27760942597_1e7d971636.jpg
27761054837_af7bb94e38.jpg

28757068988_e18a473501.jpg
41783368695_aeaf19e23c.jpg

41783369665_591077480a.jpg
28757062288_f979b74ce4.jpg

42630105871_cfb5a02275.jpg
42629995001_26ffba78b1.jpg

46343336064_30c9917a46.jpg
46343099614_bd535e9b69.jpg

26380353318_a59b00e8a3.jpg
39354690715_8b743354fa.jpg

The cellphone is easier to carry, easier to use, and easier to share, and produces images that DON'T get obliterated by DLSRs.

It produces in-camera bracketing HDR instantly that I still have trouble recreating as well with hours of post-processing.
The focus tracking is stellar.
15-images merged into one RAW file.
Night Sight.
Hell, just read about learning-based depth maps to mimic fast glass lenses.

Computational photography is nothing to scoff at -- especially when years from now when we treat digital DLSRs the same way we treat film cameras -- as antiques. There's more technology and innovation and creativity in my Pixel3 phone than the last 15 years of R&D from Nikon combined.

And I can't play games on the john with my Nikons...

Last edited:
As I like to point out to my kids...There's a time and a place for everything.

Yea, now compare the cell phone to DSLR pics on some action shots, or less than perfect light.

Last edited:
I find the cellphone vs. DSLR, Canon vs. Nikon, Digital vs. film on a par with Ford vs. Chevy or Scotch vs. Whiskey etc. It is so personal a choice that no one cares.

The fact is, the right camera is the one that I can do what you need at the time. On our trip to Iceland my wife's camera phone was infinitely easier for taking sight seeing photos, than lugging around my Canon T6. However about 10 to 15% of the shots required the advanced features of a DSLR. Shooting the northern lights, water falls and the long hours of twilight were a few of the times we needed the DSLR.

In the future, it is reasonable to expect the smart phone to get even smarter. Not only will it take pictures that will out perform any of today's camera, because lens quality will be replaced by internal post processing but the phone will also have an app that brings your self driving car to the curb out side the theater, so you do not have to walk to the parking lot.

And the beauty of all this is; if you do not want to use this stuff, film, photo paper, and enlargers, digital post processing programs and printers will still be around to tinker with. Folks today still fix up Model T's and a few even take Daguerreotype photographs.

What will really be interesting is to see what will constitute and "award winning" photograph in the next 50 years.

Shooting the northern lights, water falls and the long hours of twilight were a few of the times we needed the DSLR.

In the future, it is reasonable to expect the smart phone to get even smarter.

Pixel 4 camera samples show astrophotography, action shots - 9to5Google

pixel-4-camera-sample-astrophotography-2.jpg

Leaks up to this point indicated that the Google Pixel 4 would be able to take shots of the stars and the Milky Way at night, and now we’ve got full resolution camera samples to back it up. Needless to say they’re wildly impressive for something shot on a phone.

Neat phone shot of the Milky Way. I seems the future comes quizzing towards us, faster than we expect. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back