Why people shoot film

Thanks for posting this.

The early clips I saw of this put me off and now this totally puts me off. Why does it have to look so much like an Apple ad?

For me, this short CNN video makes a far more convincing and eloquent case for film:

What film photography still has to offer - CNN.com

I wouldnt know what an Apple add looks like, never been interested in Apple products

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

The early clips I saw of this put me off and now this totally puts me off. Why does it have to look so much like an Apple ad?

For me, this short CNN video makes a far more convincing and eloquent case for film:

I do t think it looks like an Apple add. I could not start to continue watching that cnn video as the computer voice narrator is incredibly annoying.

I wouldnt know what an Apple add looks like, never been interested in Apple products

Umm advertisements are not there because your already interested in something there are there to get people interested.

But the audience for the hipster-infested "film" is. Just Google "Apple 5C ad." Old film cameras don't function all that well as lifestyle props, neither does aspirational advertising necessarily work to sell film. I mentioned the CNN short simply because it got far closer to answering why people shoot film.

I miss my Kodachrome skies.

Joe

$kodachrome_sky.jpg

Here's a scan I made from a BADLY underexposed Kodachrome of my sister's fourth birthday celebration, back in 1954. $1403442_10201080477199044_1059692645_o.jpg

The "indefinable look of film" argument drives me insane.

Skipping around the video does suggest that a lot of the people out there get it, though. It's not about the medium itself, it's about you.

Racing sailors will sand the bottoms of their boats with insanely fine sandpaper. 1500, 2000. The bottom of the boat is a mirror. Does this make the boat go faster? Here's a secret: No it does not. It does, however, make the sailor faster. You're connected to the boat, you've removed a variable as a concern, you're more invested in the upcoming race. It's a process that focuses you, and makes you faster.

In the same way, film changes the way the photographer works, which changes the results. It's not about any damned "look". If you find that you can't capture the "look" of film with digital, then you're simply not trying hard enough, and you're almost certainly seeing things that are not there anyways, like an audiophile hearing "a more 3 dimensional soundstage" from their stupid vinyl.

(snip) In the same way, film changes the way the photographer works, which changes the results. (snip)

But it shouldn't and it doesn't have to.

I control my tools my tools don't control me.

The single most salient fact evident in that documentary was that a bunch of hipster film photographers don't have the self-control to use a tool without being unduly distracted by it. One after another they sang the same tune; film makes me slow down -- film makes me concentrate and focus -- I've only got 12 shots on a roll so I have to make them count -- a waist level finder helps me to see --other people are too plugged into their iphones and facebook and if I had an iphone I couldn't control myself either -- I need a film camera to keep me under control.

Joe

In the same way, film changes the way the photographer works, which changes the results. It's not about any damned "look". If you find that you can't capture the "look" of film with digital, then you're simply not trying hard enough, and you're almost certainly seeing things that are not there anyways, like an audiophile hearing "a more 3 dimensional soundstage" from their stupid vinyl.
Eh Amolitor...Not this is beautiful, what is beautiful, but, what you think is beautiful. So don't drive crazy yourself with such a discussions or opinions, as there is maybe not enough whisky in the world, to fully understand such an argument. Every one is entitle to have an opinion. Luckily is not death and life matter. On the other hand, in hundred years, if TPF server survives it will be nice research material for some want to be PhD of social studies. :D

What a terrific video. I heard "film is alive" more than once - it's that tactile part of the process that can be hard to express. And the cameras themselves - that also comes into play. These gorgeous cameras, the various formats, etc - all help these photographers decide how to approach their work. Having this variety helps them be better photographers, and wow! - there was some amazing stuff in there. :love:

This was a great idea for a project, and these guys did well. I appreciated the many different photographers they spoke to, from weddings to food to graphics - so interesting, and they were all so talented.

Thanks for posting this! :thumbup:

The "indefinable look of film" argument drives me insane.

Skipping around the video does suggest that a lot of the people out there get it, though. It's not about the medium itself, it's about you.

Racing sailors will sand the bottoms of their boats with insanely fine sandpaper. 1500, 2000. The bottom of the boat is a mirror. Does this make the boat go faster? Here's a secret: No it does not. It does, however, make the sailor faster. You're connected to the boat, you've removed a variable as a concern, you're more invested in the upcoming race. It's a process that focuses you, and makes you faster.

It made Ben Ainsley go fast for the American team:)

Last edited:
(snip) In the same way, film changes the way the photographer works, which changes the results. (snip)

But it shouldn't and it doesn't have to.

I control my tools my tools don't control me.

I disagree, and I think this statement is a fantasy. We're a *lot* less rational than we think we are. Playing tricks on ourselves to keep ourselves in line a big, big, part of how the human brain works.

Most reactions

Back