Why Should I use the Viewfinder?

TehYoyo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What's the advantage of using the optical (or in my case, electronic) viewfinder if I could use the back screen in Live View (or, in my case, the Sony equivalent)?

Steadier w/ arms in towards chest?

Yes.
You can hold the camera a lot steadier - with your eye at the viewfinder, your upper arms in tight against your torso, your left hand under and cradling the lens, one foot slightly in front of the other, with a majority of your weight on the forward foot.

If it's an optical viewfinder you have the advantage of seeing everything in real-time which makes timing a crucial shot a lot easier. The electronic or live view finders have an annoying delay, although the newer ones seem to be getting better.

Eye level viewfinder (at this time, I don't think there is THAT much of a difference between optical and electronic) is more comfortable to hold steady. Arms/elbows are tucked in, balanced towards the center of your body's center etc..

Back of the LCD is great for getting shots that require odd positioning. Really low positions for macro as well as high, over-the-head, positions are all easier with the back LCD.

In summary, use whatever works for you.

On top of what was said, it saves battery power. But like usayit mentioned, use what works for you.

It helps you pay attention to your composition. Closing an eye and looking through the viewfinder means that all you see is the image that will be captures.

On top of what was said, it saves battery power. But like usayit mentioned, use what works for you.

Funny story, my camera uses less power w/ the back screen... I think b/c the EVFD has more dots.

It helps you pay attention to your composition. Closing an eye and looking through the viewfinder means that all you see is the image that will be captures.

And.... using the back LCD doesn't? I see the same thing through the viewfinder that I see on the LCD. In fact, I'll use the LCD if I'm really planning a shot b/c it means that I can have greater comfort while composing a shot for a long time.

Thanks for the input. I think jfrizal's "use what works for you" will work for me.

I've always had problems with focus using live view because the screen is so small to check the focus (and it's not always feasible to magnify). Also it gets really hard when there is strong ambient light, like sunlight for example. Don't you guys have issues seeing details?

Funny story, my camera uses less power w/ the back screen... I think b/c the EVFD has more dots.

And.... using the back LCD doesn't? I see the same thing through the viewfinder that I see on the LCD. In fact, I'll use the LCD if I'm really planning a shot b/c it means that I can have greater comfort while composing a shot for a long time.

Thanks for the input. I think jfrizal's "use what works for you" will work for me.

Viewing on the back LCD means that there may be a lot going on around to distract you.

@TehYoyo usayit also mentioned that. :) But my D3100 uses more battery with Liveview and my viewfinder has only 11 AF points. Also, Canon recommends to use the viewfinder to save battery on my decade old PowerShot. It is indeed strange and funny. ;)

@TehYoyo usayit also mentioned that. :) But my D3100 uses more battery with Liveview and my viewfinder has only 11 AF points. Also, Canon recommends to use the viewfinder to save battery on my decade old PowerShot. It is indeed strange and funny. ;)

I believe he was talking about an electronic eye-level viewfinder having more pixels then the rear LCD panel

This video might help

Last edited by a moderator:

I believe he was talking about an electronic eye-level viewfinder having more pixels then the rear LCD panel

My bad! Doh!

Viewfinder is my standard mode. Thats because I see ONLY what I will capture, the camera is hold steady easily, and bright sunlight wont interfere.

Plus a flipscreen for all the unusual angles, if possible.

Well in DSLRs one obvious benefit is the quicker autofocus using viewfinder.

Most reactions

Back