Why Should I use the Viewfinder?

On top of what was said, it saves battery power. But like usayit mentioned, use what works for you.

This* Also, try using the view finder with a 200mm at 150th. To each his own but whenever I see somebody using the view finder i always think they're shooting video.

Houston vet

Last edited:
One can argue that CDAF is more accurate than PDAF since CDAF is focusing off of sensor on contrast versus PDAF which relies on proper calibration of the whole system. But no doubt, PDAF found in DSLR is better for tracking objects even though the technology exists for CDAF to be on par for static subjects.
Well, kinda. CDAF simply doesnt need calibration, but also doesnt know into what direction to go nor how far, while PDAF in principle is able to measures once and then instantly jumps as far as its needed, into the right direction.

Old habits die hard. On my Speed Graphic, I compose and focus on the ground glass when working off a tripod. Shooting hand held, I use the viewfinder. Same with digital... tripod, lcd screen... hand held, viewfinder. By the way when it's cold, I carry a couple of spare battery packs in my shirt pocket to keep them warm, switching them out as needed.

If I've got my camera on a tripod shooting a still, with all the time in the world to do it, I use the LCD simply for ergonomic reasons.

Other than that, I can't stand using it, personally. For me, there's just something more intimate and special to looking right through the glass in real time. Plus, as others have said, I feel more steady that way as well.

Well in DSLRs one obvious benefit is the quicker autofocus using viewfinder.

With the Sony, it is just as quick with autofocus both ways: viewfinder and live view.

Sony SLTs are different from Nikon and Canon. Whatever you see on the live view can be seen in the viewfinder including information and the effects of camera adjustments. You can therefore just use the live view as a second viewfinder to shoot from the waist or in difficult positions that would make using the viewfinder super difficult.

Sony SLTs are different from Nikon and Canon. Whatever you see on the live view can be seen in the viewfinder including information and the effects of camera adjustments. You can therefore just use the live view as a second viewfinder to shoot from the waist or in difficult positions that would make using the viewfinder super difficult.
This is definitely one aspect I'm looking forward to when getting the A77 (this week, hopefully). I do shoot "blind" many times either from arms' length downward or over my head. The A100 doesn't have a movable screen. I have always been a viewfinder user, even with my old Z2. Regarding holding the lens with my left hand under it to be steady, as one poster mentioned-I'm a lefty and that is like holding my hand backwards(very uncomfortable)-I hold the lens more like a package (thumb inward as opposed to outward) and it does the job. Now if someone would come up with a reversable shutter button...

I prefer to use the viewfinder, I think it makes it easier to take a good photo.

My first DLSR was 40yrs ago and now with my eyesight not what it used to be I have a hard time focusing on the viewfinder and I'm thankful for the LCD screen, just wondering if any old timers out there have this as well.

Well in DSLRs one obvious benefit is the quicker autofocus using viewfinder.

With the Sony, it is just as quick with autofocus both ways: viewfinder and live view.

I wouldn't mind seeing Canon going that route some day.

Keller vet

Last edited:
My first DLSR was 40yrs ago and now with my eyesight not what it used to be I have a hard time focusing on the viewfinder and I'm thankful for the LCD screen, just wondering if any old timers out there have this as well.

You had a digital single lens reflex 40 years ago? Are you from an alternate reality?

Well use whatever floats your boat. For me it is optical over the LCD every time. To me one involves you more in the experience/process, the other detaches you. It is like watching TV when you use the LCD, watching sports, as opposed to actually playing the sport. I even rejected P&S cameras that did not have an actual viewfinder. I tired the LCD way, and to me it sucked. You may like it which is fine.

Well I guess the old one's would be SLR, not up on the lingo.

The only time I use the LCD screen is in video and sometimes on a tripod. Even on a tripod I like to use the view finder while making small adjustments and then i back off a bit to take the picture. I dunno, you can take pictures faster with the view finder and it just feels better and more secure. Pretty much mirroring what others have said but it's what works for me

If I'm on a tripod I'll use the LCD to zoom in and get perfect focus(portraits). That's about the only use I have for it. Lately I've been using it when shooting wide open with the 85m @ f1.4. On my D90 I can select where I want to zoom in so I can compose, put the "box" on the persons face, zooom in knowing that my composition is good and finally ensure perfect focus at a very wide aperture.

One thing that really bugs me is the lag as it goes from live view to optical before it takes takes the image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back