Why we need to use proper language and spelling

It's still not a good excuse for failing to express oneself with greater acumen than is attributed to a creature that licks its own butt.

Whereas we humans have evolved to the level where we now prefer to lick someone else's butt.
Personally, I don't see that as a step forward. :lmao:

Ya no, most pplz kin figger oot wot dem lolcatz is sayin.

It's still not a good excuse for failing to express oneself with greater acumen than is attributed to a creature that licks its own butt.

But....but....do you know why a dog licks it weenie.....

. Cause it cant make a fist. :lol::lmao::lol::lmao::lol:

So, if I say aboot, instead of about...that is cool then. According to y'all, that is what you think we say. :lmao::lmao::lmao: eh?:lmao::lmao: Dang(darn)where is my toque.

You sound more from Georgia than Canada. I'm sure I can speak better Canadian in both official languages. :lol::lol::lol:

skieur

I don't like this proposed rule. Judging a person intelligence by grammical errors is pithy. Proper grammar is good, but don't write off people if they don't use it. Codswallop gobsmacked

Oh, I don't know about that. The intelligence of any person in business is certainly judged by their literacy level and ability to communicate well in appropriate English and/or French in Canada. I do both languages. Job advertisements emphasize that fact and having interviewed potential job applicants, I have certainly judged people on that basis.

Writing reports, proposals, letters, scripts, presentations, text with graphics etc. all requires literacy on top of my media skills. I expect literacy from some of the top people that I work with, and they expect it equally from me.

So yes, I will certainy write off people who don't use proper grammar etc. in terms of their attention to detail, attitude, and work ethic. It is an essential requirement in multi-media and my experience is supervising and working in all aspects of this area: photography, audio, television, animation, audio, productions and presentations.

skieur

Sure good grammar is important in business, but the fact that grammar queens judge and write off people intelligence is pithy and irks me. Thats what irritates me in business is the person that writes off some decent person sucks up to another.

Well, based on the above I've written you off :lmao:

But, if English is your second language I apologize.

Nah.... I've written you off :mrgreen:

And what does sucking up have to do with anything?

Cheers, Don

The use of smilies may hint at humor. but,

writing a person off as unintelligent because of mediocre grammar is like me writing you off as a talented wood worker because of your unoriginal designed web page. If that guy can't design an appealing clean cut web page, how can he design furniture? Would I be in error if I thought that Don?

Yes, you would be in error.

I'm not writing you off based on your work, just on your limited communication skills.

And I'll add your lack of a sense of humor to that...

Don

don't demean people because of errors.

Unfortunately in this life you are only as good as your last mistake because that's all that people remember. They have this mental block thing where good deeds are concerned. :lol:

Oh, and just for the record, one never says 'proper grammar' but instead you should use 'correct grammar'.
Though if you live in the Americas that will go right over your head :lmao:

We're not perfect are we Don? The moral is don't demean people because of errors.;)

How hard is it to start a sentence with a capital letter and/or take the time to edit our thoughts to more clearly express our opinions.

Perhaps it's time to get back on topic.

I'll take a giant leap and assume that the majority of people expressing an interest in going "pro" are just entering the work market.

As a self taught maker I have mixed feelings about formal education but I do feel one has to reach a certain level of competence in order to successfully offer their services to the public.

This is not to say they need to be able to do it all, specializing in one aspect is perfectly fine, be it portraiture, product or whatever.

Starting to ramble here, in closing I'd just like to say a tough love response to beginners is not a bad thing, But, if one has the desire and dedication to learn a craft, anything is possible.

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

Back