why won't film just die already?!

Darkroom work is MUCH more relaxing (to me) than editing on the computer.

And I just cannot get Photoshop to emulate the smell of stop bath.

Good point. I love the dancing and goofing off in the dark room.
College days. I managed to combine dancing and film tank agitation.

Film is just another medium. It's the same reason why pencils and pens are still used for drawing when we've got digital drawing tablets (that don't run out of lead, that don't run out of paint and which have the mighty Undo button - of course cut the power and things get a bit tricky).

Film will never die off totally, but it will never be as big as it was (unless we have a massive digital shutdown). I've yet to see it have a recovery, then again I've mostly been looking in market auctions where its mostly the lower end of the film market that appears week in week out. That camera shops are now turning a profit with film isn't so daft; the film market is starting to sort itself out with regard to mail order developing and printing; plus more people are used to going online to find retailers and resources to use.

............. But that encourages the spray and pray technique. LOL ............

Progression%20of%20Photography%20Post.jpg

This discussion also reminds me of the tube versus solid state debate that occurs between audiophiles. Tube amps are easily 10x or more expensive but are considered the ultimate high-end indulgence.

This discussion also reminds me of the tube versus solid state debate that occurs between audiophiles. Tube amps are easily 10x or more expensive but are considered the ultimate high-end indulgence.
Solid state electronics do not as smells nice, either. They played the Beatles' Twist and Shout on the radio the other day and I could immediately smell my old Dansette record player.

You will have to pry my film camera out of my dead cold hands before I go digital. And good luck getting my turntable or my typewriter out of my hands as well. :biggrin-93:
Did you type this on your typewriter?

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Just like my old stuff back to life and in use:
  • Fountain pens, and even older dip pens.
  • Mechanical pencils and lead holders.
  • Typewriter.
    • My wife asked me why I still kept a typewriter. Then a few weeks ago she used it to fill in a form that was mailed to her.
    • I have not figured out how to fill in a form with a computer. So it is hand write or type.

Then again, there's people today that are clueless about the existence of......*gasp*.... over-the-air TV broadcasts that are............ FREE!

Then again, there's people today that are clueless about the existence of......*gasp*.... over-the-air TV broadcasts that are............ FREE!
nothing worth watching on that
and not all countries have free to air broadcasts

nothing worth watching on that
and not all countries have free to air broadcasts

To you, maybe. The only this I need over-the-air for is the local news.

But there still people like me who don't pay $180/month just to watch TV. I don't have cable and I don't have satellite. The closest I have is a big screen that wi-fi's to my internet so I can watch the same stuff you do only 2-3 years later when they upload the videos to YouTube.

Speaking of YouTube, I have YouTube TV, which is basically a cable package and it costs $35 per month. Has a lot of channels, and I get all the Blazer games.

Anyway I thought of an analogy for the Why won't film just hurry up and die? thread: "Why wont Canada just give up and become the 51st American state? "

..............Anyway I thought of an analogy for the Why won't film just hurry up and die? thread: "Why wont Canada just give up and become the 51st American state? "

'Cuz they gotta wait for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, Virgin Islands and Northern Marianas Islands to decide first.

Most reactions

Back