Wide Angle Filters?

nedjinski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently bought the Canon 10-22mm wide angle lens to use on my Digital Rebel XT.

It has been suggested to me that I only use filters that are specifically made for wide angle lenses on this lens. Is this just hype to sell a more expensive filter? or do you actually need them? what happens if you do use a standard filter?

In regards to the lens itself, I do not know if Cannon makes a specific filter for it.

However, most wide angle lenses cannot have the filter put on the front end because this would cause vignetting, or a tunnel effect around the outside of the image.For this reason, many wide angle and especially the fish eye lenses have the filter mounted onto the back of the lens. the second problem is that the filter would not be mountable onto most wide angle because of the design of the lens itself, the filter would actually interfere with the front glass element. The biggest disadvantage is obviously the inability to change the filters without removing the lens from the camera.

If I am not wrong on this point, I do believe that there are filters made for some wide angle lenses that do mount on the front, but such filters would be very expensive. Anyone who has more knowledge on that one point, please enlighten all of us.

i've seen this subject on another forum with regards to the 10-22mm. Apparantly you can get a filter which has an extra thin rim, which stops any vignetting

Nedjinski

I have the Canon 10-22mm EF-S lens and use it on a Canon 20D.
I've got a polarizer for it - a standard one and identical to the filters on my 24-70 and 70-200 lenses.

I've never noticed any extreme vignetting while using the filter. In fact in all honesty I've never really noticed a difference between using the filter and not using it. There may be a difference but it's not so drastic that you notice.

They make wide angle filters as mentioned above. Quite of few of them don't have the additional threads on top. Makes for a thinner ring / less chance of light being blocked. Another method is to use a step up ring and filters designed for wider lenses. Some of the really wide lenses cannot use an external filter due to the last element protruding from the barrel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back